Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I am having a brain fart. Checked my valves yesterday and all were tight to the point of needing new shims. I pulled the shims and all four were 260's. Used the shim calc and it told me I needed 250's to put everything at the loose end. OK, here is my question: Exactly how do the valves become tight? My poor brain wants to think the opposite, in as such as something wears it becomes looser. "don't laff too hard", but can someone explain this for me in a way a first grader could understand it, LOL. My buddy is having the same brain fart too. And thanks for tolerating my ignorance. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm thinking logically that as things wear, the tolerances become larger, and they get looser. going by basic logic that is. I like valves to be in the middle range somewhere.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Valves tighten over time. The valve pounds itself into the seat, reducing clearance. If you don't adjust them you will burn the valve seats since the valve isn't fully closed when combustion takes place. A slappy valve is a happy valve...I never, ever, ever, never adjust valves that are a tad loose...on any motor. I routinely work on motors that cost $30,000...adjust the valves properly and it will live.

That's we we go on and on about checking AND adjusting. 600/6,000/12,000 miles and so on.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Larryboy is correct about valves being "sucked" up into the head. Worked on EMD diesel's for GM, high speed low load is BAD, like idling to long to at to fast an rpm or riding in to high a gear, maybe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts