Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is an extended shifter worth it for those of us with bigger feet? I rode my KLR today and I'm not too happy with how ratchety the shifting feels (compared to my other bikes). I raised it up a notch quite awhile ago (it's OK) but I'm wondering if another 1" worth make it feel smoother?

Which one is a good one? Where to order it from? Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Is an extended shifter worth it for those of us with bigger feet? I rode my KLR today and I'm not too happy with how ratchety the shifting feels (compared to my other bikes). I raised it up a notch quite awhile ago (it's OK) but I'm wondering if another 1" worth make it feel smoother?

Which one is a good one? Where to order it from? Thanks!!

i don't have big feet but i do ride in MX boots. i could barely shift the stock lever. Moose Racing makes a steel lever that's 1" longer, works great.

Motorcycle Superstore has them here

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Yup, got the same. And the extra inch totally changes the shifting in my opinion. For the BETTER. New boots made it necessary, but I would do it regardless now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the IMS from amazon. Man it's great. I wear a size 13 boot and it was torture with the stock shifter. I love shifting gears now. The "1 makes the difference trust me.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has anyone read anything great or bad about any of the above mentioned? ie. bend easy or rub the engine side? Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
IMS Shifter

+1 on the IMS shifter from Amazon. It fits my size 12.5 boot just fine.

It's steel, quite stiff, and does not rub on anything. However, like the stock shifter, if you try to mount it rotated ccw (lowering the toepeg) it will foul on the frame when you downshift. I ended up grinding away a little of the lever so that I could rotate it down one spline. It now fits my riding and shifting style much better.

I haven't noticed any weakness even with the slightly thinner lever. I am keeping my stock shifter for a while "just in case".

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Always keep the stock!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just ordered the Moose one. I can envision it making the shifting smoother for a bigger foot.
I figured since I was paying for shipping I might as well go ahead and order a gnarly rear tire for the pit bike. If we get any snow this winter we're going to need some big knobs on the rear to pull me around the field. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
My Moose Racing extended shifter arrived in the post today, but haven't had the motivation to go fit it yet. It certainly looks a solid and well made unit, faaaaar better than the factory piece of junk! :)

One thing which I did find interesting, was that it was listed as a 1" extention, but on the package it clearly states a 3/4" extention over stock length. Part# PU-1602-0166. Did anyone else pick up on this when they got theirs?

I'll be curious to see just how much of an improvement this shifter makes when wearing my MX boots, and will report back with my findings. I've been itching to try the boots out since I bought them, and wasn't excited about having to use my good A* road boots offroad last weekend, haha!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Must be Metric

One thing which I did find interesting, was that it was listed as a 1" extention, but on the package it clearly states a 3/4" extention over stock length. Part# PU-1602-0166. Did anyone else pick up on this when they got theirs?
!!
Must be an error in the conversion from Metric to SAE?:t1202:
:t1204:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine came in the same package, but lining it up to the original one and its a full 1" longer.
Just went for a cruise and the input you get back from the shifter makes the bike feel smoother. I think I might like the stock rubber around the shifter, but I doubt I mess with it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I installed the IMS shifter the other day. Totally changed the way the bike shifts for the better. I really like it. The only thing negative I can say about this and other aftermarket shifters is that I read that the more sturdy aftermarket shifters can actually put a hole in your case if you fall over hard enough on them and they bend back into the engine case. I never thought of that before but hopefully I don't bust my butt that hard. :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
Buy extended shifter with tab welded on

You can purchase an after market shifter with a disk welded on the inside edge to help prevent the shifter from poking a hole in the engine side cover.
Try Dual Star, Happy Trail, etc

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm comfortable with the space behind mine. I don't think it's any closer than the stocker was. If I crash that hard on something hard enough I'll be damaging other things as well.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I'm comfortable with the space behind mine. I don't think it's any closer than the stocker was. If I crash that hard on something hard enough I'll be damaging other things as well.

Sometimes the back of the shiflt lever has sharp nubby type projections left over from manufacturing that could puncture into the case. I file them off so there's a smooth surface.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. Understand. It's good.
Hopefully our cases aren't made of magnesium like on the DRZ.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts