Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the KLR, I bought an 09 in July 09 and am starting to get extended warrany literature from Kawasaki. My gut tells me it is not worth it as it seems that most are comfortable with the reliability of the KLR. I must however defer to you all who have been around the KLR for more time. The warrany costs:

377 for 1 year
436 for 2 years
555 for 3 years
673 for 4 years.

Please give me your thoughts.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
This is just an opinion, albeit one many on here share. NO! Do NOT get the extended warranty. There are several reasons. One, it usually doesn't pay off. Two, dealer mechanics are butchers and WILL **** up your bike. The KLR is a pretty simple bike and you'll be able to do most of the maintenance yourself. Even for more complicated stuff, if you hang around here long enough you'll meet someone who can help you with the more challenging tasks. But the big reason is that the dealer mech's suck. If I do have a big issue with the bike that I can't deal with and none of my friends can deal with, it will go to a private shop that has a good reputation.

My .02, the extended warranty is a scam at worst and a waste of money at best.

Congrats on the new(ish) ride!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
OLIVE OIL!!

Oops, wrong topic..

It's purely a personal thing.. I didn't have the choice when I bought my 02' KLR since it was used, but a couple years ago I bought a new GoldWing and passed on the Extended Warranty..

Much like the KLR, I don't remember reading to much about how either of these bikes are typically falling apart and breaking down..

It's a decision that really only you can make.. Were it me buying a new KLR, just as I did on my Wing, I'd pass. Although, the Wing came with a 3 year warranty, so that had some bearing into the issue... 2 years into it, the closest the bike's seen to a dealer is on the road as I've ridden past.

I look at it this way.. You have 1 year of warranty that comes with the bike. If there's an issue that's warranty related, it's going to show up in the first 1000 miles. After that, you're going to have to fight with them to cover anything anyway..

·
Registered
24 Posts
.. You have 1 year of warranty that comes with the bike...
Kawasaki only give 1 year warranty for they bikes ?? and if you want you can extend it in exchange of money ???!!! what kind of scam is that ...... hey we have 4 year's on kawa bikes that comes with every model the release . Begining to agree with Lockjaw
..dealer mechanics are butchers and WILL **** up your bike...
i would say that the problem is not only on mech's but also with kawa us (still mad because they don't send the 08 KLR to europe :mad0235:)

Cheer's

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Spend 55 bucks on the service manual, and come here when ya get stuck. We walk each other thru adjustments and/ or replacing stuff. The bonus of really knowing your machine doesn't have a pricetag.

Our loving but dysfunctional family here comes together whenever the going gets tuff!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yettidog if you do decide to get the extended warranty you can get it alot cheaper on Ebay. I did get it on my 2008 for $350 for 4 more years. That was in 2009 just before my warranty ran out. I do have a good dealer and it gives me some peace of mind. griffy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lockjaw, Paper, Marco F., Cheap Bass Turd, and Griff.

Thanks for the quick reply. What a great site, this makes for a great 2nd family. Too bad about not being able the get the 08 in Europe. You have validated my thoughts and I will not be getting the x warranty. Thanks for your time.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
That's what we're here for, to revere and denigrate Kawasaki. ;)

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
I never buy extended warranties on anything. My feeling is if they are trying to push these on you they are more likely better for them than they are for you. If the product fails out of warranty then I'll take my lumps but I won't buy that brand again.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Kawasaki only give 1 year warranty for they bikes ?? and if you want you can extend it in exchange of money ???!!! what kind of scam is that ...... hey we have 4 year's on kawa bikes that comes with every model the release .
I think it's a pretty good reason most bikes are much cheaper here than in Europe.

4 year warranty on all bikes.. Is there a limit as to how many kilometers you can put on during that time?

·
Registered
24 Posts
No limit on kilometers during that time . I agree with ChepaBassTurd , buy the manual and do it your self , that's what i have done and it works for me , only my wife complains because i spend so mutch time with my bike , the saving money excuse always work (nearly :D)
Does that makes bikes expensive ??? i realy don't know but we can find out very easy , let's take the versys ,since we also have it here , it cost's 7.298€(non-abs) and 7.836(with abs). It comes without any extras aparte from the inicial abs opcion . How mutch does it cost over there ???

Cheer's

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
let's take the versys ,since we also have it here , it cost's 7.298€(non-abs) and 7.836(with abs). It comes without any extras aparte from the inicial abs opcion . How mutch does it cost over there ???

Cheer's
We don't get the ABS version, but the non-ABS version retails from Kawi at $7599..

Jumped on the currency converter and the Versys sells here for 5,757.58 EUR, which means you're being charged 9,630 USD.

So, in Europe you're being charged $2031 or 1541 Euro more than we are for the same bike.. (todays conversion rate dollar - Euro)

That's retail to retail conversion.. Not sure what your taxes would be, but that's above and beyond the price of the motorcycle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hy paper , don't get me started about taxes , that value that you get from currency conversion is almost the same we pay in taxes here , from base price we have veicule cc taxes , customes taxes , enviromental taxes and on top of all that we have 20% iva that is the govermental taxes on all product's , so as you can see , we pay around the same .
I suspect that the 4 year's they offer is some kind of way to get more sales

Cheer's

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
So, is that price you gave include all taxes?

And I won't get into taxes, either.. We have a new "President" that's doing his best to get us to be charged as much in taxes as you are in Europe.. :(

Currently, each state charges it's own amount of sales tax.. I'm just into Illinois where sales tax is 6.25, but if I lived 2 miles north I'd be in Wisconsin and get charged 5.5%, but my income tax would almost be double..

In the end, they're all similar and those with lower taxes just charge other fees to get it up to what the rest are paying..

EEEK!!! This is getting political!! Stop!!! Bad paper!! Bad!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I bought my 08 new and have not purchased the extended warranty. I did a little research, asked around, and determined it wasn’t worth it.

I’m pretty much mechanically challenged but I have learned to do a few basics and have friends to help with any bigger items. Although at almost 10k miles on it and I have not had any issues other than routine maintenance.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
There's the rub.. Do you assume the best and accept the worst, or assume the worst and accept the best??

I hate making suggestions on something like this because if the guy does get a bike that has a serious issue at 16 months of ownership, I'd feel bad for telling him not to get the extended warranty..

My 2006 VStrom had a 5 year transferrable warranty. I think there's a year left of it, but it's on it's 4th (as far as I know) owner now and I don't think it's ever needed anything but regular mods and service.

I figure my Wing will turn into a pile of dust about a week after Memorial Day, next year.. 3 years after I bought it.. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new to the KLR, I bought an 09 in July 09 and am starting to get extended warrany literature from Kawasaki. My gut tells me it is not worth it as it seems that most are comfortable with the reliability of the KLR. I must however defer to you all who have been around the KLR for more time. The warrany costs:

377 for 1 year
436 for 2 years
555 for 3 years
673 for 4 years.

Please give me your thoughts.
Normally I would say "NO" to extended warranties. However - I purchased one on my 2004 Kawasaki Nomad. I am a pretty high mileage rider (currently have 71K miles on it ... it just came out of the extended service contract) and I got my monies worth and then some. Last year I had some issues with the saddle bag hinges. To repair/replace the worn/broken parts would have bee over $1500. My cost - $0.00

I just bought a new 2009 KLR and did get the 4 year contract. The dealers was running a special and I was able to get it for $285 for the 4 years.

Go to your dealerships business office and see if they can offer you a discounted price.

If not - go to E-Bay and do a search for Kawasaki Warranty (or warranties .... change up the wording). Unless you live in Florida - you can buy the warranty from any dealer (not just the place you purchased the bike) as long as the bike is still in the original manufacturers warranty time limit (12 months for the KLR?) You can find them for much less than the $673 you listed above.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts