Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Gotta be a scam. No self respecting KLRista needs a radar detector! But, I guess if you are going to block the view to your speedo, you better get one.

That being said. I want one!

VAC

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's pricless it has to be a scam or joke that's nuts. You wouldn't want to do any trail riding with that.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
My hat is off to him for the thought and effort put into it, but it isn't something that I would use.

·
Registered
73 Posts
yeah the price on it is way extreme if you ask me ill take the zip ties and make the wires look better rather than pay that!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Well yes almost $400 is a bit much, but all those RAM mount attachments are not cheap.
Nice idea although I would probably end up building my own version instead of spending $400.... Personally a couple bucks in velcro goes a long way.

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the black one. The only thing I have to plug into it is my cell phone so I just covered the rest of it with that round, split gray foam pipe insulation and a bunch of duct tape to make it softer in case I ever impact it........

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's a very good idea to cover it like that

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Actually, I don't have one. I was just being a smarta**. I resist change and fear technology and the only electronic device I carry on my KLR is the cell phone my wife makes me carry so I can call and let her know if I'm lying in a ditch with a broken leg, or more importantly, find I'm running late and need her to drop by the Country Corner One Stop and get me some beer before it closes. Well, I guess the second scenario isn't actually her idea, but....

When I first saw this video, I was convinced it was an elaborate joke until I visited the web site I saw displayed on the thing. I wonder how many of these things the guy sells? I suppose some folks would find them handy.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I think I just vomited in my mouth a little bit

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Well played I guess. I'd rather ride my bike. Simple, but I'm too ADD, I'd crash that thing in a mile.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Agreed with lockjaw to many distractions

·
Registered
55 Posts
Way too much stuff for me, All I need is a GPS

·
Registered
490 Posts
radar detector, cell phone, gps, umm......... does it have Onstar or something? what else is there? oh wait! an ipod and.....somebody throw me a bone, I got nothing else

·
Registered
507 Posts
Take it from a guy who got a new KLR on January 5'th 06 and went crazy with add ons, no one needs all that stuff. A good pair of solid panniers are a must but all the after market stuff that gets you high will seem sorta silly when you come down. The good news is that once paid for they don't eat so...............

I almost bought a really cool aftermarket exhaust and jet kit for my bike for 385 dollars. I ask plenty of questions about performance, and gas mileage here and everywhere else too. The consensus seemed that I "might" gain as much as 5 mpg! I was stoked, but then I started thinking about the 2000 dollars and change in Mods I already had made to the bike and I blinked.

I got out the old hp 15-c calculator and went to work on cost / gallon X current mileage (50) factored in the possible 5 mpg / gal extra, figured that against the #385 plus shipping, worked it every way I knew how but could not believe what I kept coming up with as the final answer!

So I sent all my input in the form of a word problem to a math wiz back east and ask for a result based on what I could supply as known quantities, prices, current mileage and the lot. He soon returned the same number I already had. This proved 2 things, I am not mathematically illiterate, AND that I would have to drive my KLR for 32,773 miles at the cost per gallon of fuel to recoup the 385 and shipping that the pipe were going to cost. I was in shock, still seems hard to believe but like they say the numbers don't lie.

The downside is that since I don't have the cool exhaust exotic dancers ignore me when I try to pick them up. I just saw a guy at Safeway last fall on an 05 with a Supertrap and he had these three KLR groupies or at least that's what they looked like, they were all over him! Wanting to sit on the bike, laughing and rubbing their hands all over the bike and Him! They didn't give me a second look when they saw the stock exhaust on my bike. I regret not doing it.............. Now I'm looking at this Farkle Bar and thinking I may be able to get back into the game :beatdeadhorse5:

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The downside is that since I don't have the cool exhaust exotic dancers ignore me when I try to pick them up. I just saw a guy at Safeway last fall on an 05 with a Supertrap and he had these three KLR groupies or at least that's what they looked like, they were all over him! Wanting to sit on the bike, laughing and rubbing their hands all over the bike and Him! They didn't give me a second look when they saw the stock exhaust on my bike. I regret not doing it.............. Now I'm looking at this Farkle Bar and thinking I may be able to get back into the game :beatdeadhorse5:
You've got me worried. When I put the chrome tip on my stock exhaust after doing the low-buck exhaust mod, I was concerned that it might turn the bike and myself into one big chick magnet. I guess if it happens, the most effective deterrent will be to simply take my helmet off.......

·
Registered
507 Posts
Half Measures Do Not Work!

A chrome tip ain't gonna get it done, without the whole system and I mean from the head pipe back you are 'like' a dude with tape on his glasses :16:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
LOL

All your geeky math work makes me think of all the suckers buying, or even worse renting, their new cars because of increased gas costs. Do the math first and see how much you're truly "saving". :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts