Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
2005 KLR650
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure, I'll just swap the factory grips out for these nice new Progrip 714s. Shouldn't take that long, right?

I am nonplussed :-|

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle tire Motor vehicle

Registered
Grip glue. So, it looks as though it'll take a little more time than you thought 馃槀.

Registered
2005 KLR650
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of the nastiest chemicals I have in my collection is a 15yr old can of Permatex Gasket Remover. It's just shy of aircraft stripper, and probably isn't legal in CA anymore. It's making short work of what's left on the bar.

Downside is that this stuff is really hazardous. It softens the rubber, eats the adhesive underneath, but some over spray started to melt and wick through my 8mil black nitrile gloves, and a bit more got on some bare skin and instantly got a bit warm. Proceed with caution...lol.

Premium Member
2022 KLR Adventure
One of the nastiest chemicals I have in my collection is a 15yr old can of Permatex Gasket Remover. It's just shy of aircraft stripper, and probably isn't legal in CA anymore. It's making short work of what's left on the bar.

Downside is that this stuff is really hazardous. It softens the rubber, eats the adhesive underneath, but some over spray started to melt and wick through my 8mil black nitrile gloves, and a bit more got on some bare skin and instantly got a bit warm. Proceed with caution...lol.
I was using that one time decades ago. A small fiber of the gasket must have gone airborne because my eye suddenly burned like the fires of hell and turned blood red. Nasty, nasty stuff indeed

Registered
2022 KLR650 - Fully loaded
You can use a razor blade to get the remaining grip off.
Don鈥檛 use the grip glue. Often times, it sets up before your able to slip the new grip on. Been there done that.
Been using E6000 for new grips and it鈥檚 worked very well.

Premium Member
2022 KLR Adventure
You can use a razor blade to get the remaining grip off.
Don鈥檛 use the grip glue. Often times, it sets up before your able to slip the new grip on. Been there done that.
Been using E6000 for new grips and it鈥檚 worked very well.
Agreed, the super glue style sucks. Get the gummy stuff or automotive weather strip adhesive.

Registered
2005 KLR650
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I've had good luck on bicycles with cheap hair spray. Slides on easy, dries tacky.

Just need to get the right side off. Not looking forward to that one...

Edit: right side came off with little fuss. It was glued, but it didn't bond to the plastic throttle tube like it did the metal bar. Sliced it lengthwise and peeled it right off.

Now to find some hair spray...

Registered
2005 KLR650
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Success!

I ended up cutting off the large inner flange from both grips to shorten them up. Also cut off the closed ends to account for brush guards.

Haven't ridden it yet, but they feel much better in my hands than the OE grips.
(Ignore the disaster that is my garage atm)

Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle handlebar Bicycle frame Bicycle tire

Bicycle handlebar Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Registered
2005 KLR650
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you don't want to glue them at all, those 3 grooves around each grip are for safety wire.
Yeah, I'm on the fence about that. I've never glued any of the bicycle grips I've done, and never had a problem with those. These seem pretty stuck in place. But if I feel like they're moving, I'll go back at them with safety wire.

Registered
Riding trails on a very hot day, my bike started to lose power - it lacked any acceleration, twisting the throttle had almost no response, and I could barely get it above a fast idle...! :oops:

It turns out that the right grip's "glue" was not sticking anymore and the grip was not twisting the throttle tube - I didn't really notice or feel it until it was too late, but it was a pretty easy and cheap fix, once I figured it out (better glue).

Registered
I am curious as to what golf clubs grip tape would do in this place. Has anyone tried that? Gripping clubs, there is a double stick tape you can use and a lubricant you can apply the grip with. Those babies slide on easy and never slip. You can even use just masking tape for grip and use the grip lube to install. I messed with that on a very old club with an extra grip. The masking tape worked fine too. I may have to try that when the time comes.

Registered
'08 KLR
I am curious as to what golf clubs grip tape would do in this place. Has anyone tried that? Gripping clubs, there is a double stick tape you can use and a lubricant you can apply the grip with. Those babies slide on easy and never slip. You can even use just masking tape for grip and use the grip lube to install. I messed with that on a very old club with an extra grip. The masking tape worked fine too. I may have to try that when the time comes.
I've also considered that, but haven't tried it. If I get time, I'll try it today and report back.

Registered
2017 Kawasaki KLR
That's a good idea. I have plenty of golf shop supplies and may give that a try when I re-grip this weekend!

Registered
2005 KLR650
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE

Left side is starting to slip. I installed with alcohol, lacking cheap hair spray (dollar store didn't have any!), so I'm going to see if I can pick some up somewhere and reinstall.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts