Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting one for awhile but I have a hard time paying full price for stuff. Found a good deal on one online so asked the boss if I could splurge. Can't wait to mess with it and shoot some vids when it comes in.
:t1204: for such a lame post. :13:

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Please let us know your thoughts on the GoPro. I'm torn between the GoPro and the Contour and appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have one and think that they are great for the money. Just took one on my last trip to Colorado and have used it the last two weekends at the gulf coast and got it wet and it held up to being splashed with waves. Takes quality vids.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I got the 960 HD Hero for Fathers Day, mounted it to the front master cylinder. Have taken about 300 miles of video, video quality is very good, run out of battery long before 16 mb card. Best farkle so far.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did you mount it to the FMC?
So a 16mg card will hold more than the battery lasts? I wonder if that's the same for the 1080 HD?
Got a pic?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I used the flat stick on mount directly on the top of master cyl. There is a little overhang, be sure of the direction when you put it on, they really stick. Offset mine a little to the right, with the wide angle lens it still shows the left side of road or trail.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The 1080 has the same battery time and capacity as the 960. You would have to charge battery 3or 4 times to fill a 16mb card. Don't have enough posts to show a picture of my installation. Also the files are huge, might need a bigger hard drive if you save alot of files, Ha. I had to download a player to watch on computer as the files are mp4. Let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got a vid on utube of the results?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Don't have any posted will look into utube. Told you wrong on previous post, 2 battery charges for 16mb card, around 4 hours of video.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
You might find yourself spending more and more on accessories.

I got a spare battery and a wall charger and get a lot of video out of two batteries.

I just got the LCD pack pack - can't wait to get it. I was able to test one out that we have at work and it's awesome.

I've found that I'm taking hours of video that are so interesting to me.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Got out for a NICE easy ride today. Here's the 1st part. Uploading more footage now. edit: All the vids are online now. Check'm out.

Yes it was as damp out as it looks. (until later in the morning) My gloves and hands were damp and clammy. lol

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cabrito LMK what you think about the backpack. How user friendly is it?

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Cabrito LMK what you think about the backpack. How user friendly is it?
Will do. I'll post a review in a new thread. My first impression when I tested it was that it was incredibly user friendly, and made going through the menu settings way easier because they read out on the screen. No more super small icons on the LCD on the front of the camera.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Looks like you've got a very nice camera there, Savage. I like the view from the top of your helmet. Nice work.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've been playing with a GoPro Hero HD for the past two weeks.

I don't know that for motorcycle ride recording the 1080 HD is really the ultimate "must have" feature.

Neat, but not "must". The more I use it, the more I find I am happier with results at 720p than 1080p.

Part of the issue could be my editing software, but here are a couple of short clips.

The first was recorded at 1080p, so if you have a good internet connection speed, set the player to 1080p

the second clip was recorded at 720p, same piece of road, two different camera mount locations. Set the player to 720.

the first clip (1080p) is 55 seconds long, and 161MB. The second clip (720p) is 2 minutes 17 seconds and 167MB, to give a sense of the difference in record times available, as well as a sense of the amount of processor speed and time required to edit 1080p recordings.

Both were recorded on a PNY 8 gig class 10 card.

GoPro offers a GoPro 960 camera for $120.00 less than the Hero HD. It won't do 1080p or record 720p at 60 frames per second, or accept the LCD or extra battery BacPac.

If I had to do it over, I am not sure that I would have spent the extra coin, but all in all, I like the camera a lot and am having fun playing with it and I don't regret buying the "up level" unit.

The LCD BacPac adds functionality - a LOT!

But I find tend to use the camera more without the LCD installed when recording riding clips.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where do you have it mounted at down low?
I think the 1080 is good for blowing it up on a LED TV. Watching it small on a pc I usually just watch it in 480 or 720, good enough for me.

Thanks for the info! I think I'll have alot of fun messing with it. Add more spice to rides by myself. Be fun playing with in the snow on my truck or quad...

·
Registered
389 Posts
I used the base plate it was mounted to in packaging and duct tape it to dash of car for a trip last weekend, worked great.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Where do you have it mounted at down low?
I think the 1080 is good for blowing it up on a LED TV. Watching it small on a pc I usually just watch it in 480 or 720, good enough for me.
I put one of the mounts on the front corner of my moose skid plate - the camera hangs upside down just below the right highway peg.

The issue I see with 1080p is the picture tends to waver - possably a factor of the rolling shutter - I also notice more distortion (wavy / zig-zag) of straight objects like power lines / telephone poles at that setting than I do at the 720p setting, but the 720p setting has more of a fish-eye effect. 170 degree field of view in 720p vs 127 degree at the 1080p setting.

The stuff I record at 720p looks better to me on my flat screen TV than the 1080 stuff. I've noticed the flutter / wavy picture issue on several different videos posted by other people on other forums, so I don't think it's just my camera.

This phenomenon is illustrated pretty good in the 1080p clip I posted just after the first left hand turn - the roadway appears to jump up and down compared to the 720p clip.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts