Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It was nothing real rough, I had to do it alone being the only other 2 riders I know here don't go off road. ! has a Road King and the other has a Shadow with more mile pushing it from side to side in the garage then riding on the road.

This is Cordova Pass, Heard it would be pretty messed up but found it in-passable.
I know it don't look like much but it was about all I dare going it alone.

I was really impressed at how stable the bike was....

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More if you want to see...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,284 Posts
Gordon you did us all real proud to go to the end of the road!
On highway tires none the less!

By the way, how well did they Both Work? K761's correct?
My favorite Avon Gripster model is apparently being discontinued. :(

Reactions: gruet782

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, 761's with the front on wrong direction..
Very stable, handled great. Only got about 5-6 miles up the pass before it just stopped.. about 9800 foot ELEV if my readings are right.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kewl. That looks like a super nice place to ride.
I am going to do the full pass as soon as it thaws enough.
Found a bunch of other places also I am going to check out. Just need to find other riders in my area...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
259 Posts
It is not about teasing but just staying safe if you were to get hurt.

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Nice, and yeah riding alone is not the best idea.
Yep. These days I try to team up if I go very far offroad and I carry a cell phone, minimalist survival gear and tools to fix common issues......back in the day, I'd go riding on my RM250Z after school every day by myself with NONE of that stuff.....no tools, no such thing as cell phones, I wore nothing more than a vented jersey to fend off the elements and to top it off, I never told anyone where I was going. Strangely enough I never had one single problem, failure or serious injury.....not even a flat tire! I'd freak out if my kids did anything like that today!

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was just joking... up on that pass I let everyone know I was going, if trapped under the bike or worst I could have been there weeks....

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have a SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger/Tracker; specifically the Gen2 model that's now a little dated. I originally bought it several years ago for a trip crossing Canada and Alaska. I think there are some better technologies out there these days, but if I go down they'll know where I am within a few feet...assuming I can still push a button. :smile2:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats a great idea... thank you

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have a SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger/Tracker; specifically the Gen2 model that's now a little dated. I originally bought it several years ago for a trip crossing Canada and Alaska. I think there are some better technologies out there these days, but if I go down they'll know where I am within a few feet...assuming I can still push a button. :smile2:
Same here. I hate paying the subsumption fee each year but I do.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It was nothing real rough, I had to do it alone being the only other 2 riders I know here don't go off road. ! has a Road King and the other has a Shadow with more mile pushing it from side to side in the garage then riding on the road.

This is Cordova Pass, Heard it would be pretty messed up but found it in-passable.
I know it don't look like much but it was about all I dare going it alone.

I was really impressed at how stable the bike was....
Is the split hose on top of your screen to prevent buffeting?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Is the split hose on top of your screen to prevent buffeting?
No, its like looking down on a dam knife blade. Makes feel better to have it there.
However, I did notice it deflects a little more wind higher over my head at highway speeds.

I am not a big fan of the tall Kawi windshield, I'll try another brand when this shield is junk.
This is the first bike I have owned with a windshield, so I am still learning.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
I personally love offroading alone.

Go where I want, stop when tired, etc. The main thing is that I keep it simple
soloing out in the bush. Dirt roads, atv trails, usually wide hardpack with the
occasional sand or mud in the trail to make it fun/ interesting. I don't get into
any heavy or technical stuff alone. More like high speed hiking/ exploring to see
where a dirt road pops out at the other end. As SOON as a road turns into a trail,
I generally turn the bike around while there is still room, or just cautiously roll on
a bit to see if it opens back up. Many a time I have parked and walked ahead before
riding it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I rather ride alone. I am picky about where I go alone too though.

Reactions: Tom Schmitz

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
The most fun I have is riding with my son; with the two of us to help each other out and two bikes so we can always get back to civilization in the event one has a mechanical failure, we can push the envelope a bit more.

Cheers,
Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts