Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can not make contributions about anything that requires a tool in my hands, but I thought as a retired nurse I could display my First Aid Kit. If you are not into suturing yourself or others, you can exclude the items in the lower right hand corner.(On the white paper towel)

CLICK ON BELOW TO VIEW IMAGE

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Great post masterlink. I wonder how many riders are prepared for tending to a downed rider? Coincidentally, this past weekend I attended both the basic and advanced classes at Accident Scene Management Inc. in Big Bend, WI. This class covers many scenarios on helping motorcycle crash victims prior to the arrival of EMS. The instructors were top notch and the hands on training is something that is invaluable to any rider. They have instructors in 26 states and Australia! Take the class for your riding partners, hopefully they will take it for you. They also offer rider specific first aid kits for every budget.www.accidentscene.org/index.html

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
That's a nice kit! If you don't mind could you please list the items, hard to read some of the packages. Plus, just wondering the packed size of your kit? I have 2 first aid kits in my house and one in my car but nothing on my bike.

Cheers,
Stew

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
Masterlink,
What do you think about also having a SAM splint in the kit?

The quick clot is a great idea. Can you get those from your regular pharmacy?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Masterlink,
What do you think about also having a SAM splint in the kit?

The quick clot is a great idea. Can you get those from your regular pharmacy?
Cabrito, hope the rest of your ride home was nice.

I'd recommend sam splints, though they are a little bulky. The folded ones are much easier to pack than the rolled ones.

Quick clot is sold at regular pharmacies, though I am not too familiar with it. I'd probably just use direct pressure for a good bleed.

As far as the occlusive dressing (Xeroform) that's not big enough for any real trauma. Also a piece of duct tape works well enough for a sucking chest wound.

Steristrips are awesome as is the abd. I'd recommend a roll or two of roller gauze and a fatty stack of non-sterile 4x4s. The wounds aren't sterile, the dressings don't NEED to be. Also maybe consider a few pairs of gloves. Maybe some benadryl in case of an allergic reaction.

And most importantly, an emergency blanket. Basic shock treatment is critical for a trauma patient. If possible, put their feet up to get blood to the core, and keep them warm. Even if it's 80 degrees out, their body will not be able to maintain its temperature very well.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
As mentioned before a list of items and what they do would be good for everyone.

Doing a condensed first aid class at a tech day would be nice. I am sure there would be time at any multiple day tech day like NorCal Tech Daze 2011.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First Aid Kit adden.

Thanks for the questions, I am making labels listing each item. All items are available at any pharmacy/"Superstore". The sutures/needle holder/scalpel from Duluth Trading co.(I worked in the O.R. a long time) The kit measures 7"X5.5"X3" and weighs exactly 2.7lbs. I keep an emergency blanket next to the kit(It is the size of a tennis ball in it's sack). For splints I prefer cardboard and duct tape because you can then place ice(best pain killer made)in the "trough" made by the splint.The red F.A. kit is from "Outdoor Research"-but has been restocked many times over, the Emergency blanket I have is called "Heatsheets" from Adventure Medical Kits.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for delays--I have been in and out of hospital for rather severe P new monia. I even got one of those "code blues" called on me cause THEY say I stopped breathing one night while sleeping. From the wild dreams I was having--I know they were right and I thanked more than a few folks for keeping me here on "terra firma" after all I'm doing The TAT in June--Lord willing!

·
Administrator
8,369 Posts
Mark -

Get well, and soon! The P-new-monia stuff is a bad bug.

And knock off that stopping with the breathing. I understand that's bad, too.

T

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tom,
They just pulled out a chest tube-"it won't" must have meant it will not hurt the "puller", cause it sure hurt the "pullee"--and with all the Morphine they have in a hospital?? Don't get it..........I try to keep :)ing.

THANKS,
M

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
How did I miss all this. Glad you're getting good care. I've had Pneumonia twice (once that I was old enough to remember). No good.

Great First Aid kit. I always carry one when I ride.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts