Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally decided to stop waiting and get a bike... not a clue where to start but only took me a few days of searching to see the cult of KLR would be a good place... found a 2009 with about 23k miles and figured why not for $3500.

Never been on the street so started where I was comfortable (dirt roads) found out quickly that the stock tires were good until I hit the sand... decided to hit the road a little around the neighborhood and all was great! learned a few things other than to avoid sand... 1: should have had someone test drive for me and 2: need to upgrade seat. I say I should have had someone test drive it because there is some kind of rubbing noise going on and I'm stuck here in a forum instead of riding on one of the few days below 100 degrees because I am afraid of damaging the bike:(

Aside from lessons learned I love the bike and the following... plenty of ideas to work with....

·
Registered
366 Posts
Where on the bike is the rubbing coming from? Is it metal on metal? Rubber on metal? Plastic?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not sure what the noise is... at first coming from atv's it felt like the parking brake was on to me... in the upper gears it would really lose power when I would change gears... but I had a few guys (non KLR type) ride it and they said it was fine.

I thought maybe chain rubbing on some plastic then I started looking online and now maybe its the doohicky which made me stop riding (not clear if that does damage). I see different opinions about the doohicky on newer models so I think my next step should be to get the correct torque wrench and try to "reset" that... seems simple from one video to just back the bolt out half turn and let the spring reset then torque back. thoughts? I need to go out and double check but I think it only does it when gears are engaged...

·
Registered
366 Posts
You don't need a torque wrench to reset tensioner.(doohickey). Just pull the rubber cap, back the bolt out just enough to make it loose, (it's generally a half turn on my bike) while bike is vertical, tap the lower case with a rubber mallet, retighten screw snug. Done. The doohickey would cause serious vibration on the bike and A LOT of noise from the lower left side case if something was wrong.Good thing is Gen 2 doohickeys haven't been shown to break, just have longer springs.
what size front sprocket is on the bike? If it is larger than stock it will most likely rub on the front chain guard as well as possibly make it feel a little under powered in higher gears. Easy to check 4 bolts to pull off chain guard, marks on my bike are at furthest front point of chain and base where chain exits guard. How snug is your chain? When too tight it will cause a whining noise on the sprockets on my bike. Just trying to give some easy things to check, KLRs throw off a lot of random noises.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice... Did the adjustment in a few minutes and noticed the gear shift lever was loose so that was lucky catch... took a ride around it does make the noise even when not in gear... Removed the front chain guard and didn't see any rubbing... So going to have to get it on a stand somewhere and see if I can track it down...

Far as the ride goes... Looks like my noob butt is getting used to the seat.... was a great ride! Love this bike!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
378 Posts
The klr is my first bike and I love it too....after a year I noticed a whining noise when I rode it (12,000 kms on it). Decided to complete the eagle mike tensioner and torsion spring upgrade and installed new sprocket and chain....noise is now gone but I cannot say for certain which caused it. Total cost was ~$250 including shipping for the parts and completed the work myself (non mechanic here). Was it worth it, not sure but brought me piece of mind and now there is no extra whining noise.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Does it only make the noise while moving or also while just idling in neutral? Where on the bike is it coming from again?

·
Premium Member
5,479 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on picking up a KLR. Hope your noise has gone away. Good maintenance, there. I don't know about your mystery noise, but I would hazard a guess there are a lot of people riding KLR's who have never adjusted their engine balancer or are even aware it's required, so kudos to you there. Who knows if the previous owner ever even did it? Enjoy your new ride! Ah, just noted this post is a couple months old. I'm also curious of the outcome.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey Whatnot Hope you are still liking the KLR . When my chain and sprockets went bad I had simular effects on my 2009 model . Have the chain and sprockets been replaced on yours? Tension will also need to be correct. Good luck---It's a great ride.. James

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I didn't want to get back on here and cry about it but when I took it out for my first 50 mile ride it broke down! The dealer I bought it from said they would look at it and 3 weeks later they figured out it was the spark plug... Grief! I work on it myself these days :)

As for riding I love it! Talked my brother into getting one along with another buddy and between the two guys i'm putting 200-400 miles a weekend on it...

Did get a new seat the Saddleman adventure... Butt still hurts but a different type of pain.... I guess it is what it is...

Riding that far I definitely need storage so that's my current work in progress... Gonna try the 20mm ammo boxes to get ready for the zombies...

Thanks for checking and I'll post a pic once it's done!

Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yeah you are going to need storage. I use soft removable bags for travel. Around town (no cooking or sleeping or clothes changing) I keep tools and stuff in 4 tool tubes ( from Agri...) I normally run with a tank bag and the KLR trunk. Keep learning how to work on it yourself and you have more riding time. Ride safe James

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Talked a brother and bud into getting bikes? You guys are lucky!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts