Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i knew i was going to end up laying it over sooner or later, but i figured it would be out in the woods playing in the mud or something. I layed it over going like 3 mph around a corner after it just started raining for the first time in a while. Luckily the sw motech crash bars and tusk pannier rack (the boxes were off) prevented any damage to the bike. I got away with just a sore muscle on my upper leg, no bigge. I think my sidi adventure boots saved my ankle though. Tried to stick my leg out to catch myself, felt my ankle start to roll but then the boot stopped it. Best $400 i ever spent. It just happened a couple hours ago so I'm still a little jackex up on adrenaline. Think I'll crack open a beer and try to get some sleep. Crazy.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
3 MPH is too slow for a corner.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well i knew i was going to end up laying it over sooner or later, but i figured it would be out in the woods playing in the mud or something. I layed it over going like 3 mph around a corner after it just started raining for the first time in a while. Luckily the sw motech crash bars and tusk pannier rack (the boxes were off) prevented any damage to the bike. I got away with just a sore muscle on my upper leg, no bigge. I think my sidi adventure boots saved my ankle though. Tried to stick my leg out to catch myself, felt my ankle start to roll but then the boot stopped it. Best $400 i ever spent. It just happened a couple hours ago so I'm still a little jackex up on adrenaline. Think I'll crack open a beer and try to get some sleep. Crazy.
Glad you made it out all right.

My dad ruined his leg trying to catch himself on a 700 road bike, pinned his foot and the bike and his leg kept rotating. Both lower leg bones exploded into pieces, never could do more than hobble the rest of his life. Keep yer feet on the pegs and let it hit. Just my .02.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Glad you are doing okay. Keeping your feet up is great advice, unfortunately it is very difficult to do mentally. I have ridden with a drill team before and we had several break ankles putting their feet down on slow speed falls.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe i was going "too slow." But like i said it had just started to rain for the first time in a while and the road was hella slick. Taking that corner at my usual speed just seemed like a shitty idea.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure it would have been better to keep my feet on the pegs, you guys are way more experienced than me, but i just can't understand why. Seems to me it would make knee injuries a lot more likely from getting bashed into the pavement. But I'm pretty new to the world of motorcycles.

·
Registered
527 Posts
When you have motorcycle weight it is multiplied by the speed, even low speed. If your foot gets planted on the ground it can cause a twisting break. If you have bags or crash bars on your bike they can catch the back of your leg and break it that way. On the drill team, everyone rode large touring bikes like Goldwings and Harley Ultras. When the bags of those bikes catches the back of your leg, the weight and motion cause a serious sprain or break even if you don't crash.

Your off road boots definitely help. Normal leather street boots offer some support but won't prevent an injury completely.

Some police motorcycle training requires them to do a mandatory low speed fall in which they must keep both feet up. The rest of their crashes are optional. :)

In the dirt your feet don't have the tendency to get planted and stick like they do on the asphalt.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see what you're saying now. Yeah if I would have had the boxes on the back it most likely would have been worse for me. Well live and learn I guess. Next time the roads are slick with oil I will have to remember to go faster around corners and keep my feet on the pegs when I crash.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I see what you're saying now. Yeah if I would have had the boxes on the back it most likely would have been worse for me. Well live and learn I guess. Next time the roads are slick with oil I will have to remember to go faster around corners and keep my feet on the pegs when I crash.
Admittedly, it is very hard to wrap your mind around and very hard to practice. I still plant on pavement occasionally, but seeing what a 3 mph wreck did to my dad I try real hard to keep my feet up. Dirt, as mentioned, is another story.

Crash bars and a wrack can keep the bike from smashing you when you go down too.

·
Registered
96 Posts
rack, that is. Also some good handlebar bash guards.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do you recommend for the handlebar guards? It just has the flimsy stock ones on now.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have Barkbusters but there are many alternatives. I'm sure you will get a lot of feedback. It will come down to personal preference as far as protection, looks, and price.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have MSR and like them. Spend enough to get good ones, but you don't have to break the bank to get good stuff for these things.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I heard somewhere, I can't remember where now, not to get the ones with the metal bar that the plastic part mounts to. The all plastic ones are better. Truth or BS?

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
After work today it was raining here in Bend, OR and it hasn't rained FOREVER as we have wild fires all over, so I was very cautious heading home through the roundabouts on my knobbies and could feel the front pushing. It didn't feel that bad, but I wasn't into knee dragging at all ;-) Remember when it hasn't rained in a few weeks, there is a lot of oil that comes up to the surface....

John

·
Registered
96 Posts
I heard somewhere, I can't remember where now, not to get the ones with the metal bar that the plastic part mounts to. The all plastic ones are better. Truth or BS?
I haven't heard that but that doesn't mean it hasn't been said. I'm a metal guy, if I'm going down or bashing something with the bar I want metal protecting my hand.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't heard that but that doesn't mean it hasn't been said. I'm a metal guy, if I'm going down or bashing something with the bar I want metal protecting my hand.
I agree with you. I thought metal would be better too. That's why i brought it up, in case someone had reasons not to use those style.

·
Registered
96 Posts
not that I'm aware of. The only thing I can think of might be due to weight concerns, but KLRs are pigs meant for thrashing. Go with some good metal, you be fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts