Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my 2018 650 today 馃檪 my first ride 20 miles to home , took an Uber to the dealership from home to pick it up . I was so surprised how the bike felt !!!! So light , tall , responsive , quiet ( I do ride a Harley ) and all around fun , I鈥檓 going to really enjoy her . Cannot wait to get her on backroads and trails . First thing I did once home , was order the tusk panniers , tusk crash bars ,and flush mag fill plug . I鈥檓 looking to get the dash which holds two electrical plugs . Don鈥檛 know who sells that . It鈥檚 semi curved fits below main dash . Would appreciate any help locating that . And maybe a wind screen if any of you have any good recommendations. So excited to be part of this group .. now wondering why it took me so long to see the light 馃檪

Premium Member
KLRDASH makes the prefilled lower dash kit. It鈥檚 on his web site and Ricky Mountain ATV & MC sells it for $115. You can also buy a less expensive kit from Happy Trails that is slimmer with or without holes for $25.

I bought the Happy Trails kit because I already had the gauges - bought a kit for $25 - from a prior eBay purchase I never used. I also like to make my own harness so it was a no brained choice for me. Just a bit of grinding and it鈥檚 ready. I鈥檒l post a pic later to show you what it looks like.

I鈥檇 also recommend the KLRDASH list and Zero Gravity bubble windshield. Big difference in wind protection and noise. Plus it鈥檚 going to hold all my gadgets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Mine is the same year and color of yours. They are pretty forgiving beasts. I bought mine in AZ and didn't even test drive it, just loaded it up and unloaded when I got to the top of TX for a month and a half. Mine had a hard brake in. Speed limit coming right out of the campground, was 75mph, or get run over. I put 500/the first 500, on it rpms, higher than break in. I bought it in march last year and have about 6,200-6,300 miles on it now. I have only did the balancer chain adjuster once. The motor just puuurrrrrrrssss, When riding 4,000-5,000 rpms, I can touch the crash bars, and very little vibration. Im at the bottom of TX now for the winter, and have used my truck 2 times in 3 weeks, once cold rainy day (im getting soft) 2, to get groceries, and 3-30 packs of (soda). I use the klr way more daily than I did the or any of my Harleys. With the painiers, and the old cheep and dirty milk crate on the back rack, I can get a lot of grocerys, and 1-30 pk.
For if needed to top off the batt, and or charge something off the batt, I just did the cheep and dirty universal plug from a parts store. Just crimp on the ends and attach to batt and put dead end plug in it and let it sit out a bit. ( I did put in an inline fuse). One could also use it for heated stuff. If I needed to charge something, I could plug it in and put in panier, and lock it and go in for lunch and come out and charged.

Premium Member
Here鈥檚 the modified Happy Trails dash with instruments I mentioned previously.

IMG_1038.jpg

I鈥檝e got two switches from Easter Beaver to install. They are waterproof and should fill the open holes nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Picked up my 2018 650 today I was so surprised how the bike felt !!!! So light , tall , responsive , quiet ( I do ride a Harley ) and all around fun , I鈥檓 going to really enjoy her . Cannot wait to get her on backroads and trails . First thing I did once home , was order the tusk panniers , tusk crash bars ,and flush mag fill plug
Great news! I picked mine up a month ago, was surprised at how easily it handled, still love my FXDC, and already have the Tusk crash bars plus a new solid rock guard bolted on.
Love riding the dirt trails, we have more deer than people on this island I live on but they seem to be aware of the bike where on my mtn bike there are some seriously close calls.
Enjoy and welcome.

Willi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts