Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm sure many of you have seen my first thread I started back in June when I bought this KLR with a busted head. And thanks to everyone's help and knowledge, the bike has become my daily rider. It came with a few farkles when I bought it for $1000.

Came with:

Happy Trails engine guards,
pannier boxes
Center stand
Angled wind screen bracket
Destroyed cam journals

I added:

EM 685 kit
Thermobob 2
Silicone hose kit
EM Doohickey with torsion
Subframe thru-bolt kit
Manual petcock
KLX needle kit
Twin air filter
Deka Battery
Blue LEDs for dash
Red LED tail light
SAE battery port for easy charging
Top gun 8.0kg rear
Progressive front springs
Exhaust wrap
Hot Cam exhaust cam
Low profile drain plug

After buying the bike, and what I've put into it, I think I'm in it for $2,500.

Things I want to add/replace:

Different wind screen to cut down on wind noise. Suggestions welcome
Bark buster hand guards
Protaper 1 1/8" Windham bars
KLR dash
New drive chain
Lexx pipe or supertrapp muffler
Lower Corbin seat (maybe)
Bash plate
Carb overflow modification
Fog lights
Any other suggestions?

Aside from that, the bike runs smooth and glides like no other bike I've had. I simply love it. Unfortunately I can't tell how much of a difference the upgrades have made since I've never rode a stock KLR. But this is the bike I've wanted ever since I saw Ryan F9's vid about the indestructible KLR. When I saw this non-running KLR for $1200 on CL, I knew it was a steal. I was able to talk him down to $1k because he was done with the dealership. I did the math and knew I could be into for less than it's value so as long as I did the work myself. I already rebuilt 2 engines of 2 running bikes I have, so I was pretty confident I could do it, but again, it was the generosity and kindness of the members here who made a challenge less challenging. This is bike #5 in the garage if I don't count the two 50cc chicom dirt bikes.

Now being in Maine, the season is drawing to a close, so I've been riding it as much as possible. Just need to clean and organize the grarage to store for the winter

Attachments

· Premium Member
12,048 Posts
Whats this talk about 'winterizing'?
I would think that you would be able to ride until at least Thanksgiving, most years.

· Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,232 Posts
It gets a tid bit nipply up in Maine starting around now. It's already getting close to freezing temps here. I'm sure some decent weather may still appear but once the snow drops, the salt does too.

· Premium Member
12,048 Posts
I live at 5357ft in WY. We might see a few snow flakes tonight, but mostly rain.
We many times get several inches of snow by Sept. 20.
Our earliest snow of tree damaging depth was Sept. 9 2020. It usually comes & then quickly melts several times before early to mid-November.

Last year I was riding dry roads even at 8500ft up our local Rocky Mtns on December 12th. :)

· Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
1,232 Posts
I don't doubt you however here, the salt trucks go crazy attacking the first snow flake. Then they spray a sticky salt brine on. We can thank the lawyers for it. Up in Northern Wisconsin where I grew up, they still just put sand down and people know how to drive in winter weather.
Here in Illinois, it's total chaos.

· Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Salt here is ridiculous. I actually wash my car more in the winter than the summer just to get the salt off my under carriage, Maine winters are notorious for rusting put everything. You're lucky to find a vehicle that's only 10 years old with no rust. They're not too common. Some worse than others obviously.

As for the KLR, I'm riding as much as I can as weather permits. It's just a shame it took this long to finish it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts