Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to start my first long trip on my KLR650 (800 miles round trip) to Bocas del Toro a Panamanian Caribbean island. What recommendations can I have regarding a journey of about 9 hours on the higway and one-way streets to the destination and then equal to the return. I need to do it during the day for water transportation reasons. The route is of planes, mountains of average height with wind and rain in some mountain routes. The recommendations and advice will be well received. I have had several motorcycles mainly enduro and one of street. I will be sharing photos of the trip and places I will visit. Departure March 17 and return March 20, 2017. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Foam Air Filter Must Be Thoroughly Oiled After Cleaning! (See Owners Handbook.)

Your Drive chain needs to be Loose Enough to be able to Lift the bottom run Up to Touch the rear tip of the rubber slider under the swingarm. Otherwise the chain will be 'bow-string' tight as the suspension moves thru its arc.

Check your engine oil 1st thing in the morning before start-up and once or twice during the day. (Of course bike must be held level, both ways.)

Tire pressures try, 34-36 psi Front / 32-34 psi Rear. Keeping the skinny front tire 2 psi higher than the rear reduces front tire cupping.

Ride Safe, we look forward to a report when you get back. :)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
In addition to pdwestman's suggestions, the mileage on the various wear items would be of interest. I don't like to be looking for replacement parts while on a trip. Especially, one as quick as yours. 400 miles a day for four days on roads that are not 70 mph roads. A day or even half a day lost looking for parts and you are out of time.

Anything that might have the slightest potential to wear out or fail should be replaced before you leave or carried with you. Anything you didn't need can always be used later.

Consider:
Oil and filter change before you leave
Tires
Spare tubes
A little air compressor and some patches can keep you from wasting a lot of time
Chain
Sprockets
Clutch cable
Throttle Cables
Choke cable
Brake pads
Front and rear brake fluid condition and levels. Change if needed
Make sure your battery is in good condition. Have it tested at an auto parts store
A couple of light bulbs might help and keep you from getting a ticket
Take some spare fuses
Zip ties can fix a lot of loose stuff
Take some spare keys
Make copies of driver license, passport, bike title and other important papers and e-mail to yourself
Keep a list of important contacts, phone numbers, and important information in case of an accident on you and e-mail to a contact
Insurance information: health and vehicle

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just gave you 6000 miles maintenance. I also installed new tires and they were balanced. Dunlop Trialmax. I will follow the front tire 2 psi higher than the rear reduces front tire cupping from Pdwestman's suggestions.
Also the email documents advice from GoMotor.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The GPS Spot is a good tool for emergencies.
Talking to a motorcyclist friend who had an accident, he told me that he could not call for assistance on the cell phone because it broke with the fall. This can also happen to the transmitter. What do you think would be done in such a case?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Nothing is perfect. To avoid the dangers or motorcycle travel you could stay at home in bed only to find that a meteor came through the roof and landed on your bed. Not trying to wisecrack here. Just pointing out that life has risks and there is no 100% safe system.

With a personal locator beacon such as SPOT, Inreach or others you can leave tracks at their web site and ask someone to check the site periodically and report, if your tracks stop and you have not sent an"OK" message.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am about to start my first long trip on my KLR650 (800 miles round trip) to Bocas del Toro a Panamanian Caribbean island. What recommendations can I have regarding a journey of about 9 hours on the higway and one-way streets to the destination and then equal to the return. I need to do it during the day for water transportation reasons. The route is of planes, mountains of average height with wind and rain in some mountain routes. The recommendations and advice will be well received. I have had several motorcycles mainly enduro and one of street. I will be sharing photos of the trip and places I will visit. Departure March 17 and return March 20, 2017. Thank you.

Your Drive chain needs to be Loose Enough to be able to Lift the bottom run Up to Touch the rear tip of the rubber slider under the swingarm. Otherwise the chain will be 'bow-string' tight as the suspension moves thru its arc.

Check your engine oil 1st thing in the morning before start-up and once or twice during the day. (Of course bike must be held level, both ways.)

Tire pressures try, 34-36 psi Front / 32-34 psi Rear. Keeping the skinny front tire 2 psi higher than the rear reduces front tire cupping.

First of all I'm jealous. Have a great time. These are great suggestions and about all you'll need. One more thought is to keep in contact with someone 3 or 4 times a day so there's an idea of where you were last. Layer your clothes and try to stay dry!!

·
Registered
899 Posts
The GPS Spot is a good tool for emergencies.
Talking to a motorcyclist friend who had an accident, he told me that he could not call for assistance on the cell phone because it broke with the fall. This can also happen to the transmitter. What do you think would be done in such a case?
You would probably slowly bleed to death while hearing Harley's ride past you but they can't hear you scream over their pipes. Then after a few days your body would gas up. Your intestines would explode from the pressure, rupturing your body exposing your guts & organs to the elements. Wild animals would eat what they could. Buzzards would enjoy your flesh, fly off when full and crap you out all over the place. The ants would carry off the scraps and stray dogs would carry away and chew your bones. Why do you ask?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

English is not my native language. When you refer to cupping it is the uneven wear of the tire or the jumps of it during the ride.

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
English is not my native language. When you refer to cupping it is the uneven wear of the tire or the jumps of it during the ride.
Uneven wear pattern.

All front tires used on a motorcycle, of all brands, used on all types of surfaces are susceptible to uneven wear patterns. Even racing Slicks!

Some tire tread patterns are worse than others. But too Low of front tire pressure will greatly accelerate and exaggerate the wear pattern.
Every time we properly use the brakes a higher percentage of weight is transferred to the front tire. The more weight is loaded onto the front tire on dry pavement the more traction it has to allow us to brake even harder, thus even more load.

So some tread patterns can scallop or cup very severely if too low on air pressure.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The trip start at Panamá city at 6:06 am in front of the pacific ocean and arrive at Bocas Del Toro, Almirante in the atlantic (Caribean) at 3:00 pm With three stops to refuel and take a break of 15 minutes each stop. 589 km.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was thinking of moving the motorcycle from the mainland to Isla Colon Island, but it was going to depend on the schedule of the ferry and I preferred to leave it on land and travel by sea taxi.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The weather was great. Sun and gentle breezes.
The route included, plains in the pacific side, then the crossing of the mountain range where the temperature low to 66 Fahrenheit. Then down to the Caribbean where the temperature returned to 85 F. with 65% humidity.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The route was initially a two-lane highway to Gualaca, a village that enters the mountain range. From then on it was a fairly wide two-way street in some places and in others narrower and without shoulders on the road, for 142 km

1 - 20 of 32 Posts