Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed the oil after my 100+ mile ride today on which I hit 700 miles.

Pulled the OEM filter out and it looked fine except for hundreds of flecks of material of every color.

Hood Automotive lighting Grille Rectangle Office equipment

I assume it's just remnants of paint pen marks and gasket material. We use yellow paint pens in my plant to designate that a bolt or screw has been torqued. No idea what the purple, blue, and pink specks are from.

Replaced the drain plug with a low-profile magnetic one from 3D Cycle, installed a K&N oil filter, and used some new Castrol motorcycle oil synthetic blend in 20-50. Runs fine and the engine is quieter.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Speaking of oil filters , has any one used the metal screen reusable filter from ProCycle??Good idea or stay away?

·
Premium Member
2022 KLR Adventure
444 Posts
Speaking of oil filters , has any one used the metal screen reusable filter from ProCycle??Good idea or stay away?
IMO it’s a case of “just because you can doesn’t mean you should”. I could list several Cons and off the top of my head only one Pro. It might save some initial purchase $ but time is also $. Think of the amount of extra time spent cleaning that filter. You’ll also have solvent cost. Is it really saving anything?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mine looked just like that too. I thought it was metal shavings but that you mention it, it was probably from the paint markers used.
I saved the oil from the first 3 oil changes, 600, 1000 and 3500 incase I decide I want to have it tested. If I do I'll let you know.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
I was thinking of it because its a finer filter medium, maybe not a good idea for the oil pump, don't know.

IMO it’s a case of “just because you can doesn’t mean you should”. I could list several Cons and off the top of my head only one Pro. It might save some initial purchase $ but time is also $. Think of the amount of extra time spent cleaning that filter. You’ll also have solvent cost. Is it really saving anything?

·
Premium Member
11,574 Posts
I was thinking of it because its a finer filter medium, maybe not a good idea for the oil pump, don't know.
Screens are coarser.

From past threads & other members research, the screen filters filter down to about 35 microns. The paper filters filter down to about 25 microns.

Reactions: Fanbelt

·
Premium Member
11,574 Posts
you should have seen the crap in mine. I changed the oil a few times
IMO (& Kawasakis, Hondas,Yamahas, Suzukis, etc, etc), it was/is a waste of time & materials to change the engine oil & filter more than twice in 1st 2-3k km or mi.
That is what the filter is for, to catch the crap & minuet particulates.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts