Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed the oil after my 100+ mile ride today on which I hit 700 miles.

Pulled the OEM filter out and it looked fine except for hundreds of flecks of material of every color.

Hood Automotive lighting Grille Rectangle Office equipment

I assume it's just remnants of paint pen marks and gasket material. We use yellow paint pens in my plant to designate that a bolt or screw has been torqued. No idea what the purple, blue, and pink specks are from.

Replaced the drain plug with a low-profile magnetic one from 3D Cycle, installed a K&N oil filter, and used some new Castrol motorcycle oil synthetic blend in 20-50. Runs fine and the engine is quieter.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Speaking of oil filters , has any one used the metal screen reusable filter from ProCycle??Good idea or stay away?

·
Premium Member
2022 KLR Adventure
521 Posts
Speaking of oil filters , has any one used the metal screen reusable filter from ProCycle??Good idea or stay away?
IMO it’s a case of “just because you can doesn’t mean you should”. I could list several Cons and off the top of my head only one Pro. It might save some initial purchase $ but time is also $. Think of the amount of extra time spent cleaning that filter. You’ll also have solvent cost. Is it really saving anything?

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki KLR 650 Gen 3
154 Posts
Mine looked exactly like that. It almost looks like the paint that they apply to some of the bolt heads to indicate it's been torqued. Not really sure though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mine looked just like that too. I thought it was metal shavings but that you mention it, it was probably from the paint markers used.
I saved the oil from the first 3 oil changes, 600, 1000 and 3500 incase I decide I want to have it tested. If I do I'll let you know.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
I was thinking of it because its a finer filter medium, maybe not a good idea for the oil pump, don't know.

IMO it’s a case of “just because you can doesn’t mean you should”. I could list several Cons and off the top of my head only one Pro. It might save some initial purchase $ but time is also $. Think of the amount of extra time spent cleaning that filter. You’ll also have solvent cost. Is it really saving anything?

·
Premium Member
11,949 Posts
I was thinking of it because its a finer filter medium, maybe not a good idea for the oil pump, don't know.
Screens are coarser.

From past threads & other members research, the screen filters filter down to about 35 microns. The paper filters filter down to about 25 microns.

Reactions: Fanbelt

·
Premium Member
11,949 Posts
you should have seen the crap in mine. I changed the oil a few times
IMO (& Kawasakis, Hondas,Yamahas, Suzukis, etc, etc), it was/is a waste of time & materials to change the engine oil & filter more than twice in 1st 2-3k km or mi.
That is what the filter is for, to catch the crap & minuet particulates.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts