Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, after riding Tin Cup Pass last summer and eating up the OEM tires, I ordered 2 sets of Dunlop D606's when they were on sale over the winter. They have been in my garage until I decided to change them today. Let me just say... THAT'S a BITCH OF A JOB!!!! I've never changed motorcycle tires in my life. Everyone kept telling me "It's just like changing tires on a bicycle." Eh... Bullshit. Same principal, much more ass pain!!!

I'm actually proud of myself for doing it. Money's tight these days and I saved myself about $50 having someone else do it. I did something wrong with the front tire because after I got it back together and started to fill it up I was losing air around the valve stem as fast as I could put it in. I think I tightened the valve stem nut too tight before airing it up. Had a spare tube in my Wolfman Alpha bag that I bought for our adventure last summer, so I took it out and was a little more careful.

I will call it a success after I check it in the morning and there's still air in them. Also after I fix whatever I did to the speedo housing. I had it lined up on the wheel correctly, but when I was putting the wheel on the bike I turned it. i think it's just misaligned.

I also need to adjust the chain again. Seems tighter than it was after I put everything back together.

Either way, I'm happy that I have now done it and if I'm out on the trail some day and run into a flat at least I have some experience with it.

EDIT -- BTW, Thanks to all those who have posted how to's on this site. Helps a lot, as does the 343 You Tube video's I watched before attempting the job.

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I don't have a tire changer. Got everything else, though.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I am still a rookie at it, but i found that using two 11" irons and 1 8" iron works best. It definitely gets faster with practice! Saves lots of $,as does a lot of other " wrenching". The KLR is a great bike for doing it yourself....:)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Enough to take a dent out of the $50 I thought I saved!
LOL, good one!
My 1st time it was a BEAR and I didn't install the stiff rear 606 either so props to you for getting it on! It gives you a lot more confidence IF you ever have to repair out on a road.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah, I don't have a tire changer. Got everything else, though.
You're still on the ST-Owners board, aren't you? There are a few changers available in CO. I haven't done the KLR yet, but the NoMar really helped on everything else. (Even if it's just keeping you from crawling around on the floor...)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I'm still on the ST forum. I will do that when it comes time to change the tires on the ST. I have a new set in the garage but still have about 1000 miles left on the rear. I want to make sure I squeeze every penny out of them!

Your handle on ST forum?

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
It gets easier with experience. And proper tools.
Ya for sure . Something like this that a friend just picked up used. No sweat, no swearing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts