Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After recently finishing a 14K trip around the us, on a Honda Magna, and seeing how much fun I was missing out on by not having a proper dual-sport/adventure bike, I've finally sold that bike and purchased a KLR!

Actually, it was a CL find that was just too good to pass up- 2008 in fairly good condition, 685 kit, crash guards, full Pelican luggage, other goodies. Flew from LA to Seattle and rode it down in two days. That part was terrible- wayyy too many miles per day, and it flat-out sucked. Still, the bike did great throughout the trip, in fact did so well I got pulled over for speeding...oops :D

A couple items did come up, and I'd really appreciate any experienced users with time to help out on these:

1) While not at-speed, temp was constantly sitting at about 2/3 up, above the midline, leaning toward the redzone. Not comforting. It never overheated, but it didn't seem to be cooling properly...or maybe it is?

2) Engine will choke and falter sometimes when throttle is twisted, or even if rolled on with a bit of speed. In fact, overall, the engine just felt surprisingly clunky and doggy, despite having the Schnitz 685 kit (supposedly, anyway). I totally understand it's a thumber and not the V4 80hp Magna, but man this thing was dogging...

3) Previous owner lowered the bike 1.5 inches, but not the kickstand...it barely stands up properly now, arrg. Anyone selling a lowered kickstand? :)

Thanks for any thoughts! Really looking forward to getting out and piling up the miles again!

PS- I'm also interested in good methods to lighten the bike. I've heard the muffler is a good place to start, and perhaps other items as well?

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts

yahodahan: Welcome to our little corner of the Net, the home of the world's most dedicated KLR 650 owners.

Reading is fun, but being involved is way better! Make us your online KLR 650 source.

Share your views, spread the word and bring your friends.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your KLR. You'll be able to show it off once you have 15 forum posts behind you.

Enjoy.

PS: If you have a moment tell us a little about yourself in the Introduction area.

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Couple comments related to your post:

1. What was the ambient temperature when the temp gauge was beyond center. Were you in stop & go traffic etc.?? So far it sounds normal. Was the cooling fan running?

2. I'm no carb expert but there are folks here who are. Sounds to me like a carb jet problem. Were jets changed when the 685 kit was done.
Also a loaded down KLR with a set of Pelicans on the wings is a little gutless. You cut your HP in half from your previous bike. May just take some getting used to.

3. If you are happy with the lowered position of the bike you can cut your stand down and weld it back together.

As to saving weight by changing the muffler you will add the noise factor.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Congratulations on the bike and welcome.

I had a friend cut and re-weld my side stand. It is on a stock bike and he took 3/4" off. Not sure how much you would need to take off on a lowered bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the ideas- didn't realize the sidestand could just be cut and re-welded, I'll look for a shop nearby to do that.

Not too worried about the extra noise from an aftermarket muffler, right now the front end (fairings or something) is so friggin loud, I can't hear a thing. It's like a constant scream, might be something off-angle in front...not sure. Anyone else have a similar issue? At highway speeds it's terrible.

·
Registered
232 Posts
1) While not at-speed, temp was constantly sitting at about 2/3 up, above the midline, leaning toward the redzone. Not comforting. It never overheated, but it didn't seem to be cooling properly...or maybe it is?
I'm new to klr's as well and have the same temperature gauge situation. Might be how they run.
this is normal for the KLR. when there is limited airflow across the radiator the temperature will climb until the thermo-switch located in the rad turns on the fan to create airflow. just make sure the fan is coming on, and it sounds like it is as the temperature stays consistent and the bike doesn't overheat.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Sounds like mine. Unless you have the thermobob installed, the temp goes all over the place. Never in the red, through, not even in stop-and-go on 95° days.

Make sure the fan is running when it gets warm. (Fan fuse is in a small capsule next to the radiator overflow on the gen1.)

2) Engine will choke and falter sometimes when throttle is twisted, or even if rolled on with a bit of speed.
This does not sound normal to me. First thing I'd try is to put a can of sea foam in the tank and see if it helps, but that's the first thing I always try. :)

3) Previous owner lowered the bike 1.5 inches, but not the kickstand...it barely stands up properly now, arrg. Anyone selling a lowered kickstand? :)
Sometimes I'm blessed to be 6'4". :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks for the ideas- didn't realize the sidestand could just be cut and re-welded, I'll look for a shop nearby to do that.
of course the other option, if your inseam can take it is to look for a pair of used or new stock dog bones or even raising links.

where do the fork tubes sit in relation to the top triple?

·
Registered
387 Posts
2) Engine will choke and falter sometimes when throttle is twisted, or even if rolled on with a bit of speed. In fact, overall, the engine just felt surprisingly clunky and doggy, despite having the Schnitz 685 kit (supposedly, anyway). I totally understand it's a thumber and not the V4 80hp Magna, but man this thing was dogging...
When you say it "sometimes" chokes and falters, do you mean that it takes throttle okay sometimes and not okay other times?

If so, it may be a bad throttle slide diaphragm in the carburetor. If the diaphragm is intermittently leaking vacuum, it will work sometimes and then not work right when it leaks.

If the bike always chokes and falters I'd check the filter and/or the carb manifold for air leaks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To all: sorry, I didn't see my notification of replies, thanks for all the replies!

Sounds like mine. Unless you have the thermobob installed, the temp goes all over the place. Never in the red, through, not even in stop-and-go on 95° days.

Make sure the fan is running when it gets warm. (Fan fuse is in a small capsule next to the radiator overflow on the gen1.)

This does not sound normal to me. First thing I'd try is to put a can of sea foam in the tank and see if it helps, but that's the first thing I always try. :)

Sometimes I'm blessed to be 6'4". :)
Thermo-bob is on it's way, yep :) Fan runs, it does it's job...but man, there is a LOT of heat coming from that engine. Nasty. Hopefully thermo-bob will fix that?

I'll try the Seafoam- I'm a fan of that also, ha. :D 6'4" would be great for this bike!

of course the other option, if your inseam can take it is to look for a pair of used or new stock dog bones or even raising links.

where do the fork tubes sit in relation to the top triple?
I'll check the fork tubes- good question, I hadn't thought of that at all, in case I replace the lowering links with stock.

When you say it "sometimes" chokes and falters, do you mean that it takes throttle okay sometimes and not okay other times?

If so, it may be a bad throttle slide diaphragm in the carburetor. If the diaphragm is intermittently leaking vacuum, it will work sometimes and then not work right when it leaks.

If the bike always chokes and falters I'd check the filter and/or the carb manifold for air leaks.
It's only occasionally...and perhaps only while cruising the highway. I'll have to do some tests. I rode out to a shop this morning, and twisted 'er good a few times, no lag happened. I do remember it happening for sure while already at 50-ish, and attempting to pass on the highway, though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wouldn't start with the exhaust. It's heavy but good for this pig
Does it have any specific benefits? I'd love to chop the weight off, if possible.

Here is a link to Twisted Throttle's 1 inch shortened kick stand.
Thanks! I see a lot of folks complaining about the footpad being too small- and it does look TINY. Spose I could weld on something larger? Maybe another option altogether? I hate having to bring a block of wood/etc- I always just lose stuff like that (ride off and forget it, heh).

·
Premium Member
5,501 Posts
Thanks! I see a lot of folks complaining about the footpad being too small- and it does look TINY. Spose I could weld on something larger? Maybe another option altogether? I hate having to bring a block of wood/etc- I always just lose stuff like that (ride off and forget it, heh).
You don't have to weld anything. Just cut a piece out of an old tire or something similiar, drill a hole through it and the stock foot bad and bolt it on. You have to cut it "flat" across the "back" so it won't rub on your swingarm when the kickstand is up.

·
Premium Member
5,501 Posts
The one I used is an aftermarket offering that I can't remember the name of. It had some half-ass method of securing it to the kickstand via a "tab" in the back wrapped with a couple of hose clamps. I decided that was unnaceptable so just cut off the "tab" and bolted it on. It's been on there for almost 5 years now.

In the case study pictured above, I was about an inch away from having the whole kickstand go between the bridge planks. I got lucky. The weight of the bike would have pushed it right between the planks, but it would have been a real PITA to try to get it back up out of there while simultaneously trying to lift the bike by myself.

·
Premium Member
5,501 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, the larger kickstand footpad is a great addition. I've parked in a lot of places where, without it, I would have come back to the KLR laying on its side.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts