Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bicycle part Automotive design

What is this line for? When I bought the bike it was unhooked and just laying under the seat. I hooked it back up to the little nipple on the tank that comes out under the seat. I didn't want to trim it but with it hooked up to the tank there's a kink in it. Could that be causing my issue?

edit:
so thats the vent hose and I guess is to be left open to the atmosphere. Is there supposed to be anything attached to the nipple coming off the tank?

edit 2:

edit:

Left the vent hose off, runs and stays running. 10 min idle no problem. Stayed running while I rode it around the neighborhood but didn't have much power. Above about 3-4k rpm it would start to sputter. When I disconnected the vent hose I also adjusted the mixture screw back to about what it was when I got it. Gonna pull the tank and adjust the mixture to what the manual says and see what that does. Taking a break for a few hours because of the heat. Heat index in middle TN is about a billion degrees right now and my garage faces the setting sun. 🥵
I think I broke it by fixing it 😆 I'll get it sorted out when the sun goes down and it cools off.... hopefully

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If you already put the choke cable eliminator on it, I’d leave it alone, as long as it starts cold and idles well when warm. Ditto for the idle mixture screw. Leave it at 1.5 turns. If you get to the top of Independence Pass and it won’t idle, then maybe I’d try adjusting it. OTOH, it might not idle at less than 1500RPM anyway at 11,000 ft. I’d just live with it until I got to lower altitude.

And a final suggestion: don’t keep messing with the bike, you may just cause more problems. Instead, spend the time packing efficiently, minimizing what you take, and knowing where to put your stuff.

“If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it.”
I probably should have just checked the valves and just left everything else alone but I'm not doing anything else to it.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
That hose is supposed to attach to the upper LH black nipple on the carburetor and the other end does not attach to anything. It is the float bowl atmospheric air vent. The hose must be free of debris or bug plugs.
I route them UP thru the gap where your small red wire is, then over the frame at an angle rearward, then down behind the LH sub-frame mount to near the top shock mount bolt.

This keeps that hose High & dry during deeper water crossings.

Originally there was the thinner black fuel tank cap vent hose attached to the rear fuel tank vent nipple, routed down thru that round frame hole. Which just dangled down by the rear brake lever pivot.

One can attach a squeezed flat, empty Vizine bottle to the carb end of the petcock vacuum hose to confirm proper & long term fuel flow. Petcock should flow at least 6.4 oz per minute (30mpg @ 105mph).

·
Premium Member
KLRs: 2013, 2005, 1998, 1987; 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
2,274 Posts
Carb drain plug: put a hose on it to catch the drained fuel, then open the drain screw and drain out at least two carb bowls of fuel. Check for contamination. If fuel flows clear and free, then you will have to remove the carb again and throughly clean it. As PDW mentioned, put a small bottle on it to hold the vacuum valve open during this test. Or apply “oral suction.” 😉

·
Registered
783 Posts
Extraction equipment is the most important thing to carry. There's nothing worse than after hours of blood, sweat and wasted effort having to hike several hours in the dark to find civilization then get people together and try and find your sunken ride and recover it. A ratchet strap or anything to use as a come along is priceless. A friend with a winch is even better.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I also think that there's a air/fuel problem here somewhere, and along with Pete's advice, it really sounds to me like a fuel delivery problem and here's what I'd look for: vacuum operated petcock - those go out in time and give very strange symptoms, like running really well, and then not at all - just like it had no gas; take a look at the rubber diaphragm and if it is at all suspect or not sealing nicely, replace it (rebuild kits available through RMATV or Eagle Mike, etc.). If you've got the carb off, make sure that the four little holes on the engine side of the carb and all the other jets are clean. Last thing - make sure that your choke (enricher) connection to the carb is good and air tight; I had one that back off with engine vibrations and made for very poor performance.

Good luck and keep us posted!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts