Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I love those memories... ;)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Nice story Dan!

I fish quite a bit (a bit to much if you ask my wife!) and the most memorable fish for sure are the ones that get away. I don't really remember the fish that I brought to hand other than "hey nice fish".

Last time out on the trout stream something big grabbed my fly and went straight down to the bottom of a deep hole. I couldn't even budge it, put too much force on my tippet and broke him or her off. Never even got a look at the fish but that was the event of the trip for sure.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. ;)

Yeah, I fish more than my wife would like, too. My response is generally, "a KLR and a fishing licence is a lot cheaper than a Hummer and a golf habit." And I try to take my girls whenever they'll go.

;)

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I had a similar conversation years ago when I raced stockcars. When I added up the cost of racing and deducted the sponsors and fan donations I was spending less personal money than golf or hunting was costing my friends. It is easy to get 20grand into a bass boat!
Regards....justjeff

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hell yeah it is. I fish from the bank. Cause I got no money in the other bank. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I respect the minimalist style of fishing. A big fancy boat with racks of gear and all kinds of electronics ect to outsmart a fish!! Really??!!
When I was in Australia I was shown a thorned vine being used to catch fish. He took the vine, stripped the thorns off except for a few on the end, put some bait on and had a fish in a few minutes. That is REAL fishing.
Regards....justjeff

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I respect the minimalist style if fishing. A big fancy boat with racks of gear and all kinds of electronics ect to outsmart a fish!! Really??!!
When I was in Australia I was shown a thorned vine being used to catch fish. He took the vine, stripped the thorns off except for a few on the end, put some bait on and had a fish in a few minutes. That is REAL fishing.
Regards....justjeff
That's pretty cool. I am a minimalist myself. By choice, I swear! :SadSigh:

·
Premium Member
5,473 Posts
I saw some minimalists one time catching big carp using nothing but a length of braided line and a soda can. They'd attach the line to the can then throw their bait out in the water as far as they could, then just sit the cans down on the rocks and wait for one of them to go bouncing away towards the water. They would go grab the can and pull the fish in by hand, wrapping the line around the can as they went.

Although they were in the Midwest, they weren't typical rednecks. They seemed to be of Mideastern origin, wearing robe-type garments, sandals, etc. This was way back in the '80's when they weren't presumed to be "terrorists" and were just kind of an oddity 'round these here parts.

I watched them catch several large carp using that method: always said I was gonna try it myself but never have.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw some minimalists one time catching big carp using nothing but a length of braided line and a soda can. They'd attach the line to the can then throw their bait out in the water as far as they could, then just sit the cans down on the rocks and wait for one of them to go bouncing away towards the water. They would go grab the can and pull the fish in by hand, wrapping the line around the can as they went.

Although they were in the Midwest, they weren't typical rednecks. They seemed to be of Mideastern origin, wearing robe-type garments, sandals, etc. This was way back in the '80's when they weren't presumed to be "terrorists" and were just kind of an oddity 'round these here parts.

I watched them catch several large carp using that method: always said I was gonna try it myself but never have.
Yeah, I've seen folks do that. Also, out in a boat, just dropping bait attached to empty milk jugs or soda bottles. Same idea. Some folks will use a can as a "rod", too. Basically, a better spool, but they hold the can in hand.

Coolest I ever saw was an old timer with only line and a hook. Foil from a cig pack fashioned onto the hook. Line wrapped around iron hands.

There is only one kind of fishing that does not interest me in the least (except watching): noodling. I know where the poisonous snakes live. And I may have been born in the south, but ... I know where the snakes live. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Ok, I'll bite! What in the world wide web is "noodling"?
Last week, while traveling near Cold Lake, I ran over a snake. I was very surprised because I wasn't aware that snakes live this far North. I thought it was a 2ft length of garden hose till it slithered across my wheel track at the last moment. I was sorry to kill it.
In Southern Alberta where I grew up there were Bull Snakes 5ft non poisonous, Garter snakes 1-1 1/2 ft non poisonous, and Diamond Back Rattlesnakes 4ft, poisonous but not lethal with medical care. You always knew when a snake moved into a field because all the Gophers (Richardson ground squirrels) disappeared! Some left, some got ate!! The snakes were good rodent controll.
Regards....justjeff

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:) I like snakes a lot. No poisonous snakes around where I live now really. Saw a 5 ft gopher snake fishing the other day. Rattlers in some places, but you never see them.

So, noodling is a way to catch BIG catfish. It's something I've only ever seen in the south. Basically, you get in the water and stick your hand/fist into the little underwater pockets under the bank as "bait" or "annoyance" - not sure what the fish thinks. Super dangerous. We're talking 50lb+ fish if you're "lucky". That fish will likely tear your arm up bad. Lots of blood in noodling even if you wear gloves. AND, there are poisonous water snakes that hide in the same holes. Lot's of people do it. Not my cup of tea. ;)

http://youtu.be/SfPxzKAvMAQ

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
:) I like snakes a lot. No poisonous snakes around where I live now really. Saw a 5 ft gopher snake fishing the other day. Rattlers in some places, but you never see them.

So, noodling is a way to catch BIG catfish. It's something I've only ever seen in the south. Basically, you get in the water and stick your hand/fist into the little underwater pockets under the bank as "bait" or "annoyance" - not sure what the fish thinks. Super dangerous. We're talking 50lb+ fish if you're "lucky". That fish will likely tear your arm up bad. Lots of blood in noodling even if you wear gloves. AND, there are poisonous water snakes that hide in the same holes. Lot's of people do it. Not my cup of tea. ;)

http://youtu.be/SfPxzKAvMAQ
Thanks for the video clarification! I was worried it was going to be something stupid and crazy!!

Regards....justjeff

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the video clarification! I was worried it was going to be something stupid and crazy!!

Regards....justjeff
Sure thing. I couldn't find one where there is blood pouring off the dude's arm, but you get the idea. ;)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't have a TV, but I'm sure it's popular. It's freaking crazytown. And I've done some sketchy stuff. :28:

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Seems like people never learn! Deplete the stock, disturb and target the breeders and you won't have to worry about poor fishing practices in a short time. There will be no fish.
Regards....justjeff

·
Premium Member
5,473 Posts
Seems like people never learn! Deplete the stock, disturb and target the breeders and you won't have to worry about poor fishing practices in a short time. There will be no fish.
Regards....justjeff
I generally disrespect all state "agencies" as foolish and wasteful, including the one I work for, but have never done so with the Missouri Department of Conservation. They have their act together and do an outstanding job.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts