Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody here outfitted their KLR for carrying fishing gear? I am looking for a cheap, quick, and easy way to securely secure my fishing rod to my bike.
I use one piece rods and most are 6' plus in length.


Hey TOBJ, I knew you couldn't resist. :p

But I am serious. The river has some good spots that I can ride to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
Biker Scout said:
Bolting a short segment of PVC tube along side the reward facing subframe support seems to be the best alternative.
Thats the best I could do..





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I have used one of those little mini poles that fits in my Pelican case. It would be cool to have a full size setup.

Days are just better when you can incorporate the bike. I'm trying to come up with a good bicycle mount for mine.. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,793 Posts
Yeh TOBJ,

But did'nt I catch all the fish that day? Rob you want to pipe in? :D

MB4
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,751 Posts
I have a Diawa ultralight spinning outfit that breaks down to 4 pieces, and the reel, into a nice plastic case. About the only time I use it is trout fishing in the spring (yeah, I use worms :lol: ). The outfit, a couple dozen night crawlers, a small taklebox, and a collapsable cooler fit on the bike nicely..

I'll ride from stream to stream, enjoying the day and catching some troutskis.. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool & thanks. I will have to engineer a quick release so I don't spend all of my bait money on zip ties. I'll also need to engineer a way to protect the reel because I use spinning gear. I only use one piece rods because there are some fish in the local river that can snap a two piece rod at the ferules. I was concerned that the swing arm would cause a problem with the carrier, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Viking said:
I have used one of those little mini poles that fits in my Pelican case. It would be cool to have a full size setup.

Days are just better when you can incorporate the bike. I'm trying to come up with a good bicycle mount for mine.. :)
A bicycle mount should be easy enough. Locate a KLR used rack, a bike carrier worth cutting up, and weld up your own. If you aren't into welding, you can UPS it to me and I'll put it together. Have Miller, will weld.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,453 Posts
ham! said:
Cool & thanks. I will have to engineer a quick release so I don't spend all of my bait money on zip ties. I'll also need to engineer a way to protect the reel because I use spinning gear. I only use one piece rods because there are some fish in the local river that can snap a two piece rod at the ferules. I was concerned that the swing arm would cause a problem with the carrier, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Velcro straps can replace the zip ties. Fishin' stores have lots of velcro straps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
+1 there Joe. Thats makin me mouth water! :D

Nice pics Zen. Looks like you know what its all about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Yeah, that was actually the best fish I've ever had.
It came out of the Great Slave Lake in the NW Territories, and it's not the same
fish that I'm seen licking in the other pic, I actually bought that one at the grocery
store in Yellowknife.

The fish I'm licking came out of the river off the Dempster Hwy in the Yukon two
years earlier, Arctic Grayling...I think, boy were they slimy but I guess hunger is
allways the best gravy. The mosquitoes really enjoyed them too, I remember diving
into my tent with a hot plate of fish and rice, trying to escape the devils, my hands burning,
trying to maneuver without making a mess. It was cold that night too, ahh memories.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,453 Posts
Grocery store or lake it sure looks tasty.

Not so good adventure memories are better than no memories.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,453 Posts
Dude said:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this little gem of ingenuity: http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/pocketfisherman.htm?gid=
It seems to be the perfect fishing companion for the KLR riding fisherman.
Hey they work. Won't win too many tournaments but it will catch enough fish to feed you. I have a small collapsable spinning rod I got years ago from a friend. I choose not to fish for Salmon with it. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
emmettken said:
I just bungee mine on.

If I tried that, the tip of the rod would be in the back seat of some tailgating soccer moms SUV
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,453 Posts
ham! said:
emmettken said:
I just bungee mine on.

If I tried that, the tip of the rod would be in the back seat of some tailgating soccer moms SUV
You gotta learn the stare, unless they are on a mission to Satrbucks to get their first cup of the morning. Then you don't want to be between them and Starbucks. :D
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top