Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So does anyone else carry a fishing rod when on extended adventures? Do you have a picture of it? I would like to see what you are using.:desismiley1:

·
Registered
24 Posts
i mounted a section of large drain pipe pvc tube to the side from the foot peg to my pelican case. it look ok and holds 2 fishing poles when collapsed completely(i use 2 piece ultralights) and protects them when i crash. i will try to find a way to post a picture later

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably not what you had in mind, but here's my setup:

I was born in Texas, had famliy in southern Missouri and northern Arkansas. You my friend could be family from the looks of that picture..... Not quite what I had in mind but add a chair and you are ready for some catfishing for sure.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts

Now I have a piece of PVC that fits on the passenger peg. Slick.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I used a piece of 2" PVC pipe that works very well and straps down anywhere. Now if only I could get the big ass tackle box to fit in the action packer?

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts

This is one way... This is the other...

ride safe!

MB4

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
It's the best as long as you can not gouge an eye out walking around the bike. :)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
BTW, you can notch the PVC so the reel will seat, but I have started taking the reel off. Nothing like leaving 80 yards of line on the freeway.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i had a pvc pipe i glued screwable caps to and broke down the pole and kept it in that. as for tackle i usually keep some small spinners and jigs in a small "trout" box.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
A telescoping rod is the way to go. Starts and 10" andextends to 5' 6", fits in my Fisher bags nice and snug like.
I went that route, but telescoping rods generally suck. I like to have my basspro rig with me.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
I was born in Texas, had famliy in southern Missouri and northern Arkansas. You my friend could be family from the looks of that picture..... Not quite what I had in mind but add a chair and you are ready for some catfishing for sure.
That's actually three heavy-action rods about 7 feet long or so, the dip net, a tackle box and a fish basket. I just stick the rod handles through the front handle on the milk crate and then bungee them down.

I usually ride about 20 miles or so to fishing spots and have never had a problem with the rods arranged this way. But, I first have to remove the Action Packer and put on the milk crate.

Never thought about a chair. We have a couple of those folding/collapsible camp chairs. I bet I can get one on there somewhere.

Another thing to consider, depending on what you're fishing for and how many you catch is, how are you going to get them home without making a mess of your bike? I just plop the fish basket in the milk crate then hose everything off when I get home. Since I can now hook up my electric filet knife to the power source on the KLR, I might just start cleaning/fileting mine on the riverbank and take along some ice/ice packs and just bring the meat home in Ziploc bags.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree...for the most part telescoping rods are not the hot set-up. I've tweaked on a couple decent telescoping rods and made them very respectable rigs. I just remember that I am out for the ride...the good people and then the fishing, if I even get to fish... it's a bonus!~

·
Registered
141 Posts
I agree...for the most part telescoping rods are not the hot set-up. I've tweaked on a couple decent telescoping rods and made them very respectable rigs. I just remember that I am out for the ride...the good people and then the fishing, if I even get to fish... it's a bonus!~
Can you elaborate on the tweaking. I'm going this route. Thanks!:35a:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
You can buy a MUCH better rod that breaks down for WAY less money than a crappy telescoping rod. Had many. Too whippy. You sacrifice a lot for the convenience.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts