Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

Registered
Thanks pdwestman, I've owned the bike exactly one month now and have exactly 1000 miles on it. Which was a total coincidence but yea, I'm planning on a 100k on this bike.
I did the clutch switch bypass and it makes everything good now. Before, the on/off fueling was a joke and not acceptable for me. I think Kawasaki knew this but had no choice when faced with government BS, and built in an out for us. All we had to do is find it!. Sure glad someone did. The bike runs the way it should and I love it now.

Registered
2022 KLR650
I鈥檓 also wondering if this was intentionally done by Kawi in effort to reduce tailpipe emissions鈥.making the new gen 3 look better on paper during EPA testing. Could be a possibility I guess.

Reactions: Michael Schroeder

Registered
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I鈥檓 also wondering if this was intentionally done by Kawi in effort to reduce tailpipe emissions鈥.making the new gen 3 look better on paper during EPA testing. Could be a possibility I guess.
The Closed Throttle Fuel Cut is for fuel efficiency. It's hard to find the information online and you have to dig through different sites. The official name is "Deceleration Fuel Cut Off" or DFCO. Automobiles also have it.

The fuel efficiency gain is a bit greater on larger engines. The abrupt throttle response is not noticeable with automatic transmissions that have torque converters that allow slipping. On a single cylinder with a ton of engine vacuum on closed throttle and torque rich power, coupled with a manual transmission and low gears, the effect of the transition between on/off fuel flow is quite abrupt. The issue is not exclusive to the '22 KLR650.

Registered
The Closed Throttle Fuel Cut is for fuel efficiency. It's hard to find the information online and you have to dig through different sites. The official name is "Deceleration Fuel Cut Off" or DFCO. Automobiles also have it.

The fuel efficiency gain is a bit greater on larger engines. The abrupt throttle response is not noticeable with automatic transmissions that have torque converters that allow slipping. On a single cylinder with a ton of engine vacuum on closed throttle and torque rich power, coupled with a manual transmission and low gears, the effect of the transition between on/off fuel flow is quite abrupt. The issue is not exclusive to the '22 KLR650.
Fuel efficiency on a motorcycle that already gets 50+ mpg? That doesn't sound like a manufacturing priority or make any sense to me so I doubt it. I believe it has more to do with the EPA requirements thus the EFI and catalectic converter. The official name for this is government BS, but thanks anyway for your expert opinion.

Registered
2022 KLR650
Fuel efficiency on a motorcycle that already gets 50+ mpg? That doesn't sound like a manufacturing priority or make any sense to me so I doubt it. I believe it has more to do with the EPA requirements thus the EFI and catalectic converter. The official name for this is government BS, but thanks anyway for your expert opinion.
Agreed.
At the same time鈥.OCL founded the solution we鈥檝e all been trying to figure out for quite some time now. So I gotta hand it to him for that, and I do value his 鈥渆xpert opinions鈥.

Reactions: OCL

Registered
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Oh don't thank me! I actually found the solution on various sport bike websites. And it came in small tidbits of "clues" or breadcrumbs so to speak. This solution didn't always work on all bikes properly, but it works on many. For example on some higher performance bikes, the FI programming will limit revs when clutch is pulled it to protect the engine from abuse or accidental over revving. We don't have that code written on our KLR's thank goodness! You will still bump into the rev limiter!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I believe it has more to do with the EPA requirements thus the EFI and catalectic converter. The official name for this is government BS, but thanks anyway for your expert opinion.
I'm not an expert, this is my first KLR. However, I can say I'm almost an expert with the DR650 though. :LOL: I tinkered on that bike for years. However, I gained the knowledge from other good owners who spread the knowledge to others like myself.

If you spend any time on the Facebook page, you know how prevalent wrong information is spread so quickly. It's kind of like Twitter or CNN. Hahaha!!! I'm joking....sort of.

I can't recall who wrote something like this: If you tell a "lie" and repeat it often, and tell as many people this same "lie", only YOU know it's a "lie" and so it becomes the "truth".

Registered
I'm not an expert, this is my first KLR. However, I can say I'm almost an expert with the DR650 though. :LOL: I tinkered on that bike for years. However, I gained the knowledge from other good owners who spread the knowledge to others like myself.

If you spend any time on the Facebook page, you know how prevalent wrong information is spread so quickly. It's kind of like Twitter or CNN. Hahaha!!! I'm joking....sort of.

I can't recall who wrote something like this: If you tell a "lie" and repeat it often, and tell as many people this same "lie", only YOU know it's a "lie" and so it becomes the "truth".
I've owned a DR650. Fantastic bike!

Registered

Joe......................................Stalin

RC

Registered
I made the clutch bypass change on my 鈥23 鈥渟鈥 KLR. Having only put on 300 mi, the abrupt closed throttle response had me thinking that I needed to return the bike to the dealer to determine if this condition was normal. Now, however the bike is an absolute joy and feels finally 鈥漬ormal鈥 to me. Cheers to all the adventuresome KLR community for the stupidly easy fix!

Registered
Also removed the snorkel from the inside of the air box. More air is always better! Now for that stupid o2 sensor鈥..come on Brad!
KLR-Mule, if I may ask how many wires/pins does the o2 sensor have on that bike? Thanks

Registered
2022 KLR650
KLR-Mule, if I may ask how many wires/pins does the o2 sensor have on that bike? Thanks
I want to say this one has the exact same plug as the gen 3. I tried to remove the connector to confirm, but that sucker is on there good. I鈥檓 probably not pressing on the tab correctly.

Registered
I want to say this one has the exact same plug as the gen 3. I tried to remove the connector to confirm, but that sucker is on there good. I鈥檓 probably not pressing on the tab correctly.

Problem without verification is sometimes they'll use a 4port plug but only be using 3pins.

Easier question to verify is how many wires going to your o2 sensor? What colors?

I'd like to see if you're able to perform some resistance test for me. It's likely I can tell you how to make the 'bypass' you're waiting on. Been to this rodeo before with many other units. Street and dirt. Best wishes as always

Registered
Boy howdy does this thread bring back an avalanche of memories. Fuel injection at it's finest. My first FI bike was a 2012 Ninja 1000. While it's throttle response off idle was a bit abrupt, my 2014 Yamaha FZ09 absolutely took the cake. You guys have no idea what a "snatchy" throttle is unless you have ridden one of these bikes. That FZ was near impossible to ride smoothly. It took 100% total control of your right hand when opening the throttle. Sometimes I would get arm pump trying to be smooth with my throttle hand.

All my bikes since then have been FI bikes. The solution has always been an aftermarket flash of the ECU and in particular including a fuel cut delete. The fuel cut feature of modern FI systems is part of the emission control package. If the bike is rolling it totally cuts off fuel to the engine to reduce emissions. When the throttle is turned on again the sudden rush of fuel gives a surge of power making the bike difficult to ride smoothly.

This FI snatch and it's associated heartburn is why I absolutely love my carbureted KLR. Soo simple and soo smooth and soo easy.

Easy peasy Japan-easy.

Unfortunately carburetor smooth does come at a price. You FI guys are getting better fuel economy than us carbureted Neanderthal's. With aftermarket muffler, open airbox and Uni filter, smog removed, and re-jetted carb I am averaging around 45 mpg.

Cake and eat it too comes to mind. "Most things in life are a compromise" my Momma used to say.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Boy howdy does this thread bring back an avalanche of memories. Fuel injection at it's finest. My first FI bike was a 2012 Ninja 1000. While it's throttle response off idle as a bit abrupt, my 2014 Yamaha FZ09 absolutely took the cake. You guys have no idea what a "snatchy" throttle is unless you have ridden one of these bikes. That FZ was near impossible to ride smoothly. It took 100% total control of your right hand when opening the throttle. Sometimes I would get arm pump trying to be smooth with my throttle hand.

All my bikes since then have been FI bikes. The solution has always been an aftermarket flash of the ECU and in particular including a fuel cut delete as this is the primary culprit.

This FI snatch and it's associated heartburn is why I absolutely love my carbureted KLR. Soo simple and soo smooth and soo easy.

Easy peasy Japan-easy.
I had a '07 Honda VFR800. And that bike had one of the worst On/Off throttle responses ever. A power Commander 5 tune that eliminated the fuel cut solved that stupid crap! I also had the same '12 Ninja 1000 you mentioned. The throttle response on that bike was pretty good. Not super smooth but smooth enough, and it didn't need a tune at least from my perspective.

I have a '21 VStrom 650. The throttle response on this bike is by far the smoothest I have ever experienced. 100% stock. You have to try really hard to jerk the throttle response on this motor. Suzuki, like many others, have solved the jerky fuel cut on/off bull$hit by using Secondary throttle valves, controlled by the ECM and uses a servo actuator to smooth out the throttle response during the critical transition between fuel cut and no fuel cut. The aforementioned Kawasaki Ninja 1000 has these. Thus, I am puzzled that Kawasaki didn't go the extra mile, even if it cost a bit more, to fit the '22 KLR650 with secondary throttle valves. It also appears to be an issue with the later model KTM 690/701's. How hard and how expensive is it to put a secondary throttle valve? It's been around for over a decade now, and it's not rocket science nor a proprietary add on. Truly a fail for Kawasaki, or anyone else who believes the jerky on/off throttle is something us consumers should just live with.

Registered
2022 KLR650
Unfortunately carburetor smooth does come at a price. You FI guys are getting better fuel economy than us carbureted Neanderthal's. With aftermarket muffler, open airbox and Uni filter, smog removed, and re-jetted carb I am averaging around 45 mpg.
My previous 2018 klr always got an average of 48mpg. Stock carb with air screw set @ 1.75 turns. I also ran a 16T sprocket on that bike. Still regret selling that bike.

I鈥檓 averaging 53-55mpg on my gen 3, so FI is definitely accounting for the better mileage in my case. The 16T sprocket was a no-go on my gen 3, as it sucked way too much power in higher altitudes.

Having said that鈥.a 鈥渃arb鈥檇鈥 klr really is the way to go in my books. You can squeeze cheap & easy power out of these carbs, compared to a FI system. Your re-jetted bike will likely outrun my gen 3 hands down.

Reactions: Hawkerjet

Registered
Your re-jetted bike will likely outrun my gen 3 hands down.
Oh yea. Every time I come back from a ride I have to visit my doctor so he can put my elbows and shoulders back into the socket. Such brutal power...Lol.

I do miss the arm stretching power of many previous bikes but I don't miss all their complexity and difficulty in working on them.

What the KLR lacks in strait line speed it makes up for in cornering. I am really amazed at how well it handles on the pavement. Even with knobby tires. These young crotch rocket kids blow by me on the straits but are shocked to see me looking large in their mirrors once we get into the twisties.

My KLR has become my new smile bike. It makes me smile every time I take it for a ride.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts