Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my wall mounted cabinets came in and I installed the first one. One more to go on the right on this wall. Four more to go on the other wall for my wife. I left room below for another set of wall cabinets if I need them, but really plan to use that space for a 53” tool tray/tool chest. I’m going to create a butcher block style top so I can use it as a mobile workbench.

I’ll be adding a 72” free standing cabinet to the left of my air compressor later this month. Just waiting to see if it goes on sale.

What’s your garage look like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Niceeee !!!

Well, my wall mounted cabinets came in and I installed the first one. One more to go on the right on this wall. Four more to go on the other wall for my wife. I left room below for another set of wall cabinets if I need them, but really plan to use that space for a 53” tool tray/tool chest. I’m going to create a butcher block style top so I can use it as a mobile workbench.

I’ll be adding a 72” free standing cabinet to the left of my air compressor later this month. Just waiting to see if it goes on sale.

What’s your garage look like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep. Got the free standing cabinet installed yesterday. Got the rolling cart too. I’ll post a pic tomorrow in better light.

But I’m bummed. I was working on adding a wooden top made out of two pieces of birth plywood - I liked the wood pattern on it - only to find out that it’s a bit too high to fit back under both wall cabinets. Just mms too tall. My floor sloops.

I’m hoping I can sand it down enough to fit again though. Then comes the edging, stain, and varnish. When it’s all done I’ll counterbore some holes in the bottom right ground corner and mount a vice so I can press in bearings if needed. Or work in my front shocks.

I already started the cleanup and organizing of everything in the cabinet and shelves. It’s nice to have a place to put them! Yay!

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
Yeah, I suspected those wall mounts were too low!!

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I suspected those wall mounts were too low!!

No, they are just the right height. The rolling chest fits under it just fine. With room to clear. I just didn’t take into consideration the 1 1/2” top I wanted to put on it. So I’ll just put a 1 1/4” or 1” top later. I really wanted a butcher block top but had no time to build one. So, I’ll just consider this one temporary. It’s just inexpensive birch plywood anyway.

FWIW, the height selected allows for another unit to be placed below it. And even one above if desired. Did it this way so when I build out the other wall on the other side for my wife, they’l all be on the same horizontal plane. She’s only 5’ 3” so wanted storage she can access without ladders.

You can’t see it in the pics, but there is a small wedge of cement on the bottom that creates a flat horizontal area. Height measurements were taken from that level for mounting. If I slide my air compressor and end cabinet 6” to the left the chest will fit. I’ll probably do that until the build is complete and I buy or make another top.

·
Premium Member
3,043 Posts
new shop is still a work in progress, just moved in a month or so ago.....the extra space will be welcome (1060 sq ft with 14.5' ceilings).

Cheers,
Dave

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That’s nice. I’d like to have done something like that, but can’t due to association rules. Good thing I don’t plan to stay there forever.

I like where I live, but it doesn’t quite fit my end goals. If you like golf though, it’s your perfect choice. As you can tell, I don’t play golf. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts