Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellas, can anyone pls show me a way of removing this kind of case that seats the float bowl needle? I tried with plyers lightly but no success and i worry that I might damage it if done forcefully.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,444 Posts
IT is a Permanent float valve seat. I do not know of any company which sells a replacement! Wish I did.

I use metal polish on a Q-tip / bambo skewer-cottonball to polish the permanent brass seats the best I can.

Occasionally they develop a tiny pit directly on the sealing surface, which allows seepage, regardless of my attempts.
Which is one more reason that I truly Love the Automatic vacuum shut-off OEM fuel taps. A running engine usually Consumes that tiny bit of seepage even at an idle. :)

Reactions: nirwis

·
Premium Member
8,444 Posts
The 1990's Harley Davidson Sportsters used similar Keihin CV40 carburetors. Maybe HD has a replaceable float valve seat available?

Reactions: nirwis

·
Registered
596 Posts
The 1990's Harley Davidson Sportsters used similar Keihin CV40 carburetors. Maybe HD has a replaceable float valve seat available?
Nope, none of the H-D Keihins have replaceable seats.

A very fine ball hone turned by hand may be used to "clean-up the seat" followed by a pencil eraser with fine grinding compound to polish the seat surface.

Jason

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

This carb is testing my patience since it's already 6th or 7th time that I took it apart because of fuel leak at the overflow nipple. This last time I replaced the needle and the gasket and thought that will fix it, but it worked good for like 15kms and then again rpms started to go a bit higher by itself then heard the smell of petrol leaking. Then i saw a vid on yt of a guy removing the seating of the needle (he made it look very easy), and replacing the rubber o-ring thats underneath the seat, fixing the issue.

@Norton 850, I will try your suggested method and see where it takes me.

Appreciate your feedback.

·
Premium Member
8,444 Posts
Then i saw a vid on yt of a guy removing the seating of the needle (he made it look very easy), and replacing the rubber o-ring thats underneath the seat, fixing the issue.
Many other carburetors do have replaceable seats, they usually have a retainer plate & small screw or they are 10mm hex-head & screw in with a gasket. Be careful of incomplete information on youtube & anywhere.

If you turn the carburetor up-side down with the needle & float installed and mount in a bench vise, connect remote fuel supply and confirm outer perimeter of the brass seat is fuel tight. I suspect that these seats do Not even use o-rings, because of the hard press fitting.

Some people have had problems with Cheap Chinese Carb Kit float needles not sealing. You might try an OEM Keihin float needle?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many other carburetors do have replaceable seats, they usually have a retainer plate & small screw or they are 10mm hex-head & screw in with a gasket. Be careful of incomplete information on youtube & anywhere.

If you turn the carburetor up-side down with the needle & float installed and mount in a bench vise, connect remote fuel supply and confirm outer perimeter of the brass seat is fuel tight. I suspect that these seats do Not even use o-rings, because of the hard press fitting.

Some people have had problems with Cheap Chinese Carb Kit float needles not sealing. You might try an OEM Keihin float needle?
I think you are right, seems there is no removable float seat on this carb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts