Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone,
I am having a problem starting my klr after complete overhaul. I did the 692 kit from eagle mike and while everything was a part I did KLX carb upgrade.
I cleaned the carb and installed new needle and 140 jet for high altitude.
Well here is my problem...when I go to start it and crank it over I notice that gas starts purging from the clear hose under the seat. Once I start to see the gas spitting from the hose I have to stop cranking motor over then gas reseeds back to carb.

I took carb off again and checked my work everything seems fine. I cranked it over and she started for a min, but I didn’t get to the throttle before she died. I started cranking her over again, but the fuel started purging through the hose again. I’m totally baffled. Can anyone give me a clue?

Thanks,
Jeremy in Telluride, CO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,362 Posts
Jeremy,

You floats are probably stuck open. When you crank the engine the engine’s vacuum opens the petcock and fuel flows as fast as it can into the bowl and overflows out the vent tube.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for you help today..installed new float valve bike runs perfect. Only had to spend 40 dollars and 3 hours driving to get the darn thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Should your hose "surge" fuel again (as when sometime you're on the road or trail), try bashing the carb with sharp strikes (don't break anything!) from a hammer or screwdriver HANDLE; the shock of the blows may release the floats/tang/float valve from the "stuck open" position, restoring correct float bowl fuel height.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
Should your hose "surge" fuel again (as when sometime you're on the road or trail), try bashing the carb with sharp strikes (don't break anything!) from a hammer or screwdriver HANDLE; the shock of the blows may release the floats/tang/float valve from the "stuck open" position, restoring correct float bowl fuel height.
Actually I'd recommend to turn the fuel valve OFF and ride the bike over a bumpy stretch to jiggle things loose or just drain the float bowl to allow the float to drop to the bottom and possible flush any crud out of the float needle.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Draining the float bowl is ALWAYS in good taste; however, I'd prefer not riding the bike with a line purging gasoline, but that's just ME! :)

Whacking the carb with a hammer or screwdriver handle (no, NOT with an 8-lb sledge!) while the bike is static sometimes closes a stubborn float valve in my experience.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
With the petcock turned OFF, it Should stop the flooding. Unless the 4 holed selector disc in the petcock is the root cause of the flooding. Correct?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts