Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay guys, I'm new to KLRs. Ive got a 2010 that is leaking some fluid out of the very bottom of the left fork where the allen head screw is. Any idea what would cause this, and what needs to be done to fix it.

I'm guessing it's the dampener bolt, I tried tightening it and it just spins. I'm guessing I will need to pop the top of the fork, hold it, then tighten the bottom bolt? My right fork bolt on the bottom is nice and snug, no spinning.

I haven't worked on a standard set of forks in like 2.5 years, most all my experience is with USD/inverted forks.

Thanks,
Spencer

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Rsm688,
I'm relatively sure that you know this, The proper fix would be 'removal, disassembly, clean and replace the copper gasket' on the allen bolt!

But, fore going that, how about, an air impact wrench? Three wacks, only!
If not successful, disassemble, clean and replace the copper gasket, Properly!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks pdwestman, I haven't disassembled KLR forks before. If I put a socket on the piece of the dampner inside the tube and remove the allen bolt on the bottom, is that all that it takes for me to get to the copper washer?

My bike is a 2010 and only has 1800 miles on it so I figured the copper washer would probably be just fine. Guess I just got a dud with that one bolt being loose lol.

The forks are already completely removed from the bike (lots of customization going on).

Thanks,
Spencer

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yup, its the dampener bolt. You just jam the dampener and tighten/untighten from bottom. I've added gold valves, progressive springs and fork brace. Nice dirt combo but a bit stiff on the road. Someday I'll go to a lighter weight fork oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts