Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I received this helmet Wednesday and had to wait until today to try it. My first impression is very good.

Now my comparison will be a bit skewed since it is my first Dual Sport helmet, and all of my previous helmets have been full face or modular street helmets.

Anyway, here we go. The color was the first big attraction to me, I am slowly transitioning all my gear to the high visibility yellow as much as possible and the helmet is a spot on match with my Olympia and Field Sheer mesh jackets. It also has a slight iridescent look as well.

It seems very lightweight, but again this is in comparison to my Scorpion EXO 900 which is in the heavy category.

It moves air very well, it was actually chilly this morning so I can tell it will be a summer helmet.

The bill visor is adjustable and was very effective as a sun visor, however it did seem to catch the wind on the highway, not bad but noticeable.

The face shield seems to be a three position affair, full open, half open and closed. This was slightly irritating but tolerable. May remove it entirely and use cover up sunglasses since I wear glasses. Which brings me to my final point.

The fitment is very good and snug, I have an oval head and this one fit all around. The padding does disrupt the fitting of my glasses, but I'm sure that will be rectified with a little experimenting and trial and error stuff.

The kicker on this helmet is it's price. 125.99 at most of the cycle gear websites. Overall I am very pleased with the helmet and do recommend it if you are in the market for a DS helmet.

I hope you found the review helpful.

Jeff

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the same one in white for hot desert heat. So far so good, but... It is a motocross style, and I don't like the sharp point of the chin of the helmet. It is also very rattly. Wind noise is attrocious. Comfort, getting better as I got a snug fit and it is breaking in nicely. The visor does it's job and blocks the sun really good. The sunglass thing should I expect get a little better with break in, but the helmet is designed to accomodate the use of goggles, and I may go that direction, not sure yet as I need gasses sometimes to see down the road. I am gonna cut the red tab lanyard off the D-ring pretty soon. I'm thinking this is a one long or two short season helmet, which means disposable. I'm adding a HT windshield mod so I think that should helpo with the visor catching so much breeze, but I think is gonna be a winner for hot summer trips. I found the helmet to be super comfortable whem I first got it only to be highly irritated by it shortly thereafter wearing it for an hour. Now that the hard foam is breaking into my head shape a little it is not pressing on my forhead so much and much more comfortable. Not a modular cruiser helmet, so don't try and spit out of it... It doesn't play music either, but I had the dealer throw it in when I bought my 2012 KLR, not a bad freebee... Really, you got a green one? They'll be able to see you from outer space.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RLF-Yes that is the one

LittleSteve-That's funny, everyone calls it green. I see yellow. Anyhow, I am going to a Hi Vis green/yellow and black combination on my gear for safety reasons. I personally like the hi vis stuff, but I guess it's not for everyone. I'm an avid street bike (ST1300) rider, and spend a lot of time on the slab before and after daylight so I use every advantage I can.

·
Registered
215 Posts
In my Air Force days I heard it called Day Glo.
I always think if they see me a second sooner, that might be what is needed to keep them from being stupid. I wear a hi viz Tour Master jacket and my next helmet most likely will be hi viz.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Honestly they didn't have the high vis in my size, or I probably would have got it. On the other hand I get parbroiled in the high desert sun and had a black modular the last three week cruises so I was thinking along the lines of silver or white. And this new white helmet is a lot lighter and whiter, and a heck a lot cooler. I don't really like the shape of the visor in the up position, but am getting used to it. It's also more comfortable than the $400 helmet they tried to sell me. I might get a high vis vest though, or vented jacket. Not sure yet, on a slim budget getting the bike ready to go trippin.
Have a great day,
Steve

·
Registered
215 Posts
littlesteve....what high deserts are you at?
I also use a hi viz mesh vest on hot day here in New Mexico.

·
Registered
72 Posts
California mostly, Mohave, and Eastern Sierra. But it can get pretty roasty in N.Cal just a few miles from the coast. I also enjoy the back roads of Nevada and Utah but have only sampled a little of NV so far on the bike but have extensive driving, camping, and hiking experiencs all over these areas. So when I got my first bike I already knew where hundreds of cool places are. And I know a lot of dirt roads etc, and felt pretty limited camping wise on the big Star cruiser. Thus setting up the KLR. Mine is Black '12.
Have been to NM a little bit in the fall and winter.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I spent 5 years just outside of Victorville. I had a Honda XL250 at one point and a Honda 750 at another time,
but spent most of the time with a 4x4 truck.
Spent some good times in Death Vally,
and my guess is you been to the Ghost town Bodie......it's well worth the trip.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeah, Bodie's been good to me, been up there a couple times. There's a plethora of nice places to go in the Eastern Sierra right around there on the west side of 395. Generally I land in the White Mtns east of Big Pine and chill for a day or two to acclimatize. I have a favorite spot there off in the pinon pines where the only people tht ever bothered me adopted me for three night with a huge telescope and I saw more galaxies and cool stuff than I realized were out there. Way cool, and they took me fossil hunting too! I been all over Cali so many times I should write book... A ranger told me once in Utah, very sarcastically, "So this is your third visit, you can write a book now." I was looking for an obscure ruin and he knew where I wanted to go, gave me a hint because I had the right attitude etc... There are some really cool people out there in the mix. I also know of an obscure work site where a lot of arrow heads were being chiped out somewhere out thata way. It is one off the most cool of the beaten track places I have ever been. I don't wear Hi-Vis when I go there. Quite the opposite I'm affraid. The funny thing is, it is really close to a really popular area.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have this helmet. I like it thus far. Personally I found it to be a good winter helmet.

I open the mouth vent and tilt it up a little bit and there are no issues with the screen fogging up.

Good helmet, good value - though I haven't tested it yet.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Excellent review, I had bought one and there was a defect in my visor so I returned it and they set me a GMax 11d which was a hi-vis winter version, I was going WTF, bt I tried it on and wow, it even had an anti-fog nose piece.

Must be the same manufacturer because they sent my helmet back to them....

Great move to the hi-vis equipment. Ever since I made the change I am having fewer close calls...must be because I look like a light bulb going down the road...

·
Registered
56 Posts
My wife and I each have this helmet. It is a great helmet for the money. That being said, I feel like mine gets very hot and has a lot of noise from the wind coming across the chin opening. Maybe it's the muggy Georgia heat, but the ventilation is only ok. I have no hair, so I should be able to feel something with all vents open. Also, we bought the flat black and so I'm sure that doesn't really help with the heat. My wife loves hers, I see mine as a great option.

I've since upgraded to the icon variant. I hated the price point, but I found a spot in Conyers GA that is very military friendly and they gave me a 25% discount. It was hard to pass it up. The ventilation on the variant is AMAZING. The fit is great as well and it's very easy to get the pads in and out, and with the chin piece in the noise is much more tolerable than the Fly helmet. The only real con I have found yet is it seems the pads hold sweat a little more than my Fly helmet.

If you guys are on the fence about buying a dual sport helmet, no matter the brand, DO IT! The visor alone makes it worth it to me. Even with a pair of nice sunglasses there are times that the sun can just make your eyes feel tired. Even a little relief from direct sunlight goes a long way. Below is the image of the one I recently went with. If you are going to be going high speeds for long distances, I recommend something similar for the air flow and noise reduction alone.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
The fitment is very good and snug, I have an oval head and this one fit all around.
My experience, identically, with a Fly helmet of yesteryear (Costa Rica "Jungle Challenge" ATV Tour, 2005).

With my 7-5/8 Long Oval head, the Fly-furnished headgear was the first out-of-the-box (XXL) I found fitting comfortably, without the assistance of Mr. Moto-Tool (professional rider, closed course, do NOT try this at home).

Thanks for the review; appreciate your sharing your own personal experience.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've since upgraded to the icon variant. I hated the price point, but I found a spot in Conyers GA that is very military friendly and they gave me a 25% discount. It was hard to pass it up. The ventilation on the variant is AMAZING. The fit is great as well and it's very easy to get the pads in and out, and with the chin piece in the noise is much more tolerable than the Fly helmet. The only real con I have found yet is it seems the pads hold sweat a little more than my Fly helmet.
Yes the price point stopped me, maybe in another year...That is one thing I liked about my visit to the US, from the commercial aspect, they do respect military personnel with extra discounts on merchandise...it is well deserved.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts