Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2004 KLR 650
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Sorry for the slow response: I was in Death Valley, riding my Husqvarna TE610 that incidentally has never given me as many problems as this KLR...

But to get to the point: no update. I just keep grinding off more chunks, heating, hammering, hoping.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,528 Posts
Yeah that’s a mess. Keep cutting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wish I wasn't a whole span of a country and more away, else I'd give you a hand. Bet we'd have it off in under two beers time. Nice looking Husqy. But KLR is king.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Actually, if you don't have the EM puller, I have one laying around doing nothing. Could ship it. On tapered hubs at work, I put a puller on and get it under good tension, then heat the hub and typically a good tap with a bronze hammer pops em free. And we're talking 500 ft/lbs or more of torque on these damn things.

·
Registered
2004 KLR 650
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Actually, if you don't have the EM puller, I have one laying around doing nothing. Could ship it. On tapered hubs at work, I put a puller on and get it under good tension, then heat the hub and typically a good tap with a bronze hammer pops em free. And we're talking 500 ft/lbs or more of torque on these damn things.
Wow, that's a very kind offer. Unfortunately, there's no threads anymore on the flywheel anymore: they stripped out long ago with the first several attempts using pullers, and now they've been cut away.

Thank you, though. The kindness of strangers...and on the internet, too...amazed!

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
Actually, if you don't have the EM puller, I have one laying around doing nothing. Could ship it.
Are you referring to the EM SUPER Puller with 6 bolts or just the standard EM Center Bolt type?

·
Registered
2004 KLR 650
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Oh, good point. I have not used, or actually ever seen, the legendary Eagle Mike six-bolt super puller. I used the centre bolt style threaded into the flywheel hub, as well as an harmonic-balancer type of puller threaded into first two, then three, of the holes in the gear mounted to the back of the flywheel (sprag gear?)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Oh, good point. I have not used, or actually ever seen, the legendary Eagle Mike six-bolt super puller. I used the centre bolt style threaded into the flywheel hub, as well as an harmonic-balancer type of puller threaded into first two, then three, of the holes in the gear mounted to the back of the flywheel (sprag gear?)
I’m not sure what all the hacking is on that flywheel?? What’s all the random cutting on the outer edges? Maybe I’m just confused by the small fuzzy pictures?
I have followed this entire thread but can’t remember (without re-reading) if you ever got an acetylene torch. It’s hard to imagine you couldn’t pull this off with appropriate heat (not propane torch). If there is no longer anything to attach a puller to I would weld a large nut to the rotor hub then thread a high strength bolt in as a puller against the crank. Heat the hub and pull it off. If only we lived closer together…
If you can’t find the tools to do this you need to find some better friends 😆

41 - 48 of 48 Posts