Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, at least it wasn't while I was riding .

K, here's what's going on. I had to remove the flywheel because I dropped one of starter gear bushings behind it. I put on the doo wrench (thanks MotoPhoto) and the bolt was only torqued to like 40 ft-lbs by my best guess. About half way through removing the bolt I could see the flywheel was just hanging on. After removing the bolt I just removed the flywheel completely. No flywheel puller or anything was needed.

I did the doo under close supervision at the NorCal Tech days and I know for a fact I sinched that bolt down to 140 ft-lbs. Yes, it was a new bolt.

Am I just lucky or am I damned?
Second question:
Does anyone know the clearance between the engine side of the flywheel and the big starter gear?

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Well, at least it wasn't while I was riding .

K, here's what's going on. I had to remove the flywheel because I dropped one of starter gear bushings behind it. I put on the doo wrench (thanks MotoPhoto) and the bolt was only torqued to like 40 ft-lbs by my best guess. About half way through removing the bolt I could see the flywheel was just hanging on. After removing the bolt I just removed the flywheel completely. No flywheel puller or anything was needed.

I did the doo under close supervision at the NorCal Tech days and I know for a fact I sinched that bolt down to 140 ft-lbs. Yes, it was a new bolt.

Am I just lucky or am I damned?
Second question:
Does anyone know the clearance between the engine side of the flywheel and the big starter gear?

Between the big starter gear and the flywheel / rotor are two spacers, part #'s 92026. I do not have the actual clearance required or gained by placing these two spacers between the starter gear and rotor. One spacer between the starter gear and rotor. If they are in place, you should be good....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts