Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm from Grand Junction, Co. We have tons of beautiful riding here, both blacktop & offroad. I've been riding for almost 20 years, all Harley. I've wanted to get into adventure riding since I watched Long Way Round. After riding & pricing BMW, KTM and the KLR, I see that the least expensive way to get into the world is the KLR. I also see that the KLR has a serious cult following. Most of my riding is local, in the valley. Sometimes I take off for the front range which is only 300 miles or maybe to Moab which is only 100 miles. From what I see, the KLR should be plenty comfortable for those distances.

Locally, I see used KLR 650s in the $4,000 range. From what I've heard & read, you can't really go wrong with a used bike.

What I'm curious about is this, is there a bad year? I know Harley had some bad years but I don't think Kawasaki KLRs ever experienced this. Are they all pretty much good? I'll have to decide on whether I want old body or new body, but I think that's about it.

I appreciate being allowed to the group and I'm excited to enter the KLR world.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Welcome Kblack!

I did an adventure trip out to Moab several years ago. What a place! If I lived 100 miles away from there, I'd probably go there every other weekend. :smile2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you haul your bike or ride it? How far? I'm just curious about distance riding on them. I'm sure a lot of that is up to the rider & the set up of the bike.

·
Registered
541 Posts
So far, I've been able to avoid having to haul dual sport motorcycles around. However, the trip that included Moab was on a large adventure class Super Tenere that was more suited to longer distances. Having said that, I personally know a guy from South Florida that rode a KLR650 from the southernmost point in Keywest all the way to Pudhoe Bay and back. I doubt he was the first.

Having only had my KLR since the end of November, I've done several 300 mile days to/from rallys around the state and have had no problems comfort-wise on the KLR with the stock seat. I could do much more if I wanted to.

·
Lifetime Member
2,481 Posts
Welcome aboard friendly new guy! :)

All KLR's are awesome of course, but if you were going to steer clear of any I would say the 08's and 09's as some had a bit of a drinking (oil) problem. 08's and early 09's also had the deep hole issue.

The 08's and 09's aren't all oil burners as my 08 is fine, but some of the early second gens use a lot.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
The PD Westman mod addresses much of the oil consumption issue.

Oil burning is an obvious one, especially if it puffs oil on start up. Most use oil on the highway above 5,000 RPM. Suspension bearings are usually neglected as are wheel bearing and speedo hub service. I recommend those on any used KLR.

Lots of good advice available here or if FaceBook is preferred: https://www.facebook.com/groups/klrmoto/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts