Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

A couple of months ago I decided that I would ride the CDR in June of 2013, In order to accomplish this goal I determined that I needed to 2 thngs right off the bat, 1. Get into shape 2. Buy a solid bike for the trip.

Still working on #1

Saw an ad on Ebay for a 2009 KLR with 2100 miles in excellant condition cosmetically as well as mechanically. So I bid the $3900 opening bid, Guess what, cosmetically the bike is marginal and I figured I would work around that,
When I got the bike back home and was able to look at it in depth I realized that there is a whole lot to do mechanically as well. (The clown that sold the bike to me had cut the aircleaner box in half for whatever reason among other atrocities)

So enough whining. At least I now will have the opportunity to rebuild the bike the right way, So I will be asking for a lot of assistance from everyone

Thanks in advance

Idahorider

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well, let me be the first to say welcome aboard. Lots of info is to be found here. Opinions too. Drilling the airbox isn't unknown for a KLR.
What do you think is wrong with the bike...

Mac

·
Registered
378 Posts
Welcome to the site....I am still working on #1 as well but as for #2 and fixing up the bike, more then willing to help where possible...Just start posting...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bikes engine and tranny seem to be tight so I don't think there are any worries there(knock on wood). The guy (henceforth known as the clown) who sold it to me didn't just drill holes in the air box, he went at it with a saw. the carb is taking in unfiltered air which obviously needs to be fixed. I am thinking that there are going to be some electrical issues as the wiring looks like it has been messed with.

My first objective is going to be to get a manual (with pictures) and start in.

Does anyone know of a good Bike boneyard I can get some parts from?

Scott

·
Registered
269 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts