Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to ask the group what you do to prevent fogging of your helmet faceshields. Went for a ride this AM and it must have been at or near dewpoint and it was terrible, my mirrors even fogged up. I wear glasses so it is a double whammy for me.

I've used shaving cream as you would glass cleaner and just tried Rain-X Anti-Fog. The shaving cream trick works better than the Rain-X but I still get fogging.....only less of it.

Any more ideas?

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
flash -

When I go snorkeling I spit in the face mask.

Not suggesting you spit all over your face shield, but I think there is a product that is supposed to replace spit for snorkeling. Might work.
I just run with the shield cracked open a bit if the fogging is bad. It's pretty dry here, though.

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slo - I had no idea about the fog city stuff. How does that work? Tried getting info from the link but other than the home page everything else is "under construction" .

Tom - I may just try that!....it's cheap enough for sure !!!!

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Spit might work. Cat Crap will work and is cheap as hell. I think it was originally meant for ski goggles. Comes in a little red container. Good stuff.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Slo - I had no idea about the fog city stuff. How does that work? Tried getting info from the link but other than the home page everything else is "under construction" .

Tom - I may just try that!....it's cheap enough for sure !!!!
This is from Fogcity's website.

"HYPER SHIELD CLEAR, Anti- Fog Visor Insert provides unprecedented technology in visual acquity. Constructed of an optical grade, 20-mil polycarbonate lens that is imbued with a patented anti-fog coating.

This high quality anti-fog technology is what has made Fog City the world leader in anti-fog visor inserts.

Able to absorb over 98% of harmful UV rays, the HYPER SHIELD CLEAR Anti-Fog Visor Insert is simple to install and provides amazing performance instantly converting your clear shield into the highest performing Anti-Fog, UV blocking visor available today."

You can find them locally at most any shop that sells helmets and accessories or order online.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Flash,

What brand helmet? I use a Scorpion and when it is really cold, (32* or less) I crack the shield when slowing at lights and such. Keep the vents open and leave it cracked until you hit third gear, then slam the lid.

Works for me and I ride in what most people would consider cold weather all year.

Ard

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a Shoei pin lock shield. It works like a thermal pain window. You have an insert that snaps into pins on the inside. There is a silicon bead around the edges of the insert that hold the insert away from the shield so you have an air space between the insert and shield. I've had the entire shield fogged except for the area covered by the insert.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
People have asked this before and I've said Cat Crap. I even have some. :character00286: Just put it on. I'll let you know how it works, cause I'm cracking my facemask 85 times a commute.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm allergic to cats. Is there something along the lines of "Dog Poo"?

Seriously, thanks for all the input! It is not so much that the inside is fogging as it is the outside, mirrors included. Let me know how you like the cat crap ;-)

·
Registered
272 Posts
I hold my breath. Because the anti fog stuff I have doesn't seem to work very well.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Cat crap should work to keep anything from fogging (mirrors included). I've used it snorkling and skiing, but never on the bike. We'll see. I can't ride it until I've changed my brake pads (I've pushed it far enough), but I'll let you know after I get a chance to do the pads (next weekend?...who knows, I'm about to get a bunch of family slammed in my face). ;)

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm about to get a bunch of family slammed in my face). ;)
Amen to THAT !!! Me too, the first wave of inlaws and outlaws have threatened to arrive tomorrow. Thankfully I can always come up with an excuse to go for a short ride.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Scorpion Helmets have the best fog free visors. The only problem is glasses. I wear sunglasses which will fog, so I just crack the visor one notch and the breeze keeps glasses clear. Once you get moving you can close it and they clear up. Scorpion Scorpion Scorpion. And it is standard issue. Plus they cost half of what Arai and Shoei do. I just wish they had DS helmets, Road, Off Road (w/o visor) and Snowmobile only.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I also wear glasses and it is definitely a problem. Still looking for a product that will work on glasses and not harm the coatings.

The HJC visors a usually good with fog when they are new but it seems the more you clean the visor the less effective it is.

I am buying one of the Fog City inserts. The more expensive one does not get a good review because of cost. The less expensive insert seems to work well and gets good reviews.

Sure wish the HJC AC-12 had a breath box to help prevent fogging.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts