Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question, i made the mistake of installing an aftermarket center stand long ago. One day i went to check my foot peg bracket bolts torque, guess what, one bolt kept turning and turning.

The advise on the "other" website was to drill out the frames nuts to 10mm, helicoil, then use 10 mm bolts. This advice came with a warning that going to 10mm meant there wasnt much "meat" left and it would lead to the next option. Grinding adding better bolts welding argh!

Instead i just used a 8mm helicoil kit and fixed the problem, which was only one bolt at the time.

Not only was i able to use the stock bolt size, i had more "meat", for the lack of a better term for future use.

Why do people recommend going the 10mm option before trying a 8mm helicoil first? If 8 doest work you can always go to 10, cant go from 10 to 8?

Over to you, and yes, i dumped the center stand in favour of a lift to service my chain etc...

:character00201:

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
there's various ways to fix the footpeg mounting bolt problem.....some are easier than others and some are more work; generally the strongest solutions take the most work and the easiest ones are also the weakest.

Hopefully your 8mm helicoils will hold; you have a chance now that you've ditched the centerstand.

The only way to permanently fix the problem forever IMO, is to use one of the methods that open up the box and replace the nuts with something better (more threads). 10mm with a finer pitch is best. ....but some guys get by just fine with the stock setup too. Depends on weight, usage and properly tightening (and not over-tightening) the mounting bolts. I think adding a centerstand makes the likelihood of failure, much, much worse.

2 cents,
Dave

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear ya on the center stand, seemed like a good idea at the time, funny how we add weight to an already heavy bike without thought.

Hopefully those that come after us can learn from our mistakes.

:35a:

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
Yep, there is a fairly common thought that "it's already heavy so who cares?" but with that thinking, it's easy to add 20 - 30 lbs to an already heavy bike. I went the other way and have pared off 20-25 lbs off mine....it adds up. My lightened gen 1's are potentially up to 80 lbs lighter than Gen 2 with centerstands, paniers and other common add-ons....and 80 lbs is VERY noticeable

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts