Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Are the foot peg mounting brackets the same on all years? Just want to check as I cannot find these same ones on Aussie e-bay. Most of the Chinese ones mention suitable up to 2005 & don't come with pins or springs. I would like to improve the pegs on my 2016 but can't justify paying around $250 for pivot pegz. Would happily use the dimensions as a guide. VTWoodchuck is your KLR a gen2?

Thanks
Grant.
Yes mine is a 2017 Gen 2. I don't know about Gen 1 versus Gen 2 though I suspect they are the same? They are virtually identical to the IMS Super Sport Pegs that sell for $70 - $80. I'm very happy with mine. They sell them on Amazon.com too if you can't find them on eBay.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You mean IMS Super Stock pegs? They may look virtually the same but that would be all. IMS Super Sport pegs are stainless steel the ones you are talking about a steel. I am willing to bet they are nowhere near the same quality, will they work, yes, but not even close quality wise.

·
Administrator
8,289 Posts
I had the same issue - stripped foot peg bolts - and I did the fix that Superdoo recommended; essentially, drilling out the old nuts, replacing them with 10 mm nuts & bolts from the local hardware store, welding them in and grinding it flush. I'm really happy with the way it turned out and it's a permanent fix.

The guy who did the welding mentioned that he's done this exact same procedure around a dozen times, so don't feel alone!
I missed this post (and the rest of the thread!) while I was gone.

@KLR Kool-Aid!, is there any chance that you have pictures of the repair? Even an 'after' photo of the foot-peg boxes would be helpful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
You mean IMS Super Stock pegs? They may look virtually the same but that would be all. IMS Super Sport pegs are stainless steel the ones you are talking about a steel. I am willing to bet they are nowhere near the same quality, will they work, yes, but not even close quality wise.
Yep, I meant to say "Super Sport, my brain must have been misfiring at 12:30 am. However IMS makes two versions of the Super Sport peg under two different part numbers. The older, but still available IMS Super Stock #277317 is the one that is virtually identical to the eBay pegs. I think you are thinking of the newer IMS Super Sport Pro #273116. I attacked pictures of the 3 pegs below. The first are the eBay pegs. the second are the the IMS #277317, the third are the IMS #273116. Cheers

Kev

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
wow, the first two really do look similar, even the amount of teeth and pattern. The third pic I believe is the IMS Pro Series

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Use a proper sized drill bit & then re-tap to 10mm x 1.25 thread. 10mm bolts are probably 30-50% Stronger than 8mm.
I wonder if there is enough space behind the captive nuts to allow the tapered tap to penetrate far enough thru to cut threads to the proper full depth?

·
Premium Member
6,684 Posts
It kind of depends on the design of the tap. Its apparently deep enough to thread a 8 x1.25 Helicoil re-tap into, which incidentally is ever So Close to the same Diameter as a true 10 x 1.25 tap it ain't funny. If the tap has a non-essential pointy tip on it, they can be blunted/squared-off on with a grinder.

I can see about 5-6 mm of space between the frame rail & the backside of the stock captured nuts on my bike. Thats about 3-4 threads of available protrusion.
That should be enough space for most 10 x 1.25 taps to fully cut the threads.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
It kind of depends on the design of the tap. Its apparently deep enough to thread a 8 x1.25 Helicoil re-tap into, which incidentally is ever So Close to the same Diameter as a true 10 x 1.25 tap it ain't funny. If the tap has a non-essential pointy tip on it, they can be blunted/squared-off on with a grinder.

I can see about 5-6 mm of space between the frame rail & the backside of the stock captured nuts on my bike. Thats about 3-4 threads of available protrusion.
That should be enough space for most 10 x 1.25 taps to fully cut the threads.
I put a very small hex key in the crack between the sides of the mounting box and measured 1/4' clear between the back of the nut and the frame tube.

Then I used a piece of 1/8" stock and drilled the 11/32" hole recommended for the 10M x 1.25 pitch tap in it. Then I ran the tap in until 3/16" came out the other side. Then I screwed a 10M x 1.25 bolt in the hole. It went completely through by hand.

Thanks for your suggestion to measure the clearance through that little crack that I had not noticed.

While looking for a 10M tap I went to the Fastenall store I usually go to for fasteners larger than I think Ace Hardware would have. I was surprised to find a large sign on the door that said "NO INDIVIDUAL SALES - ONLY CONTRACTORS WITH ACCOUNTS". Fortunately Ace had the 10M tap.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
i have the ims pro series. fits well. spring can be puzzling but it takes a couple of fitting test to find how to put spring. good grip

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
i have the ims pro series. fits well. spring can be puzzling but it takes a couple of fitting test to find how to put spring. good grip
I have the same or similar pegs. I ground the teeth on the outside tips down because sometimes when I came to a stop and put a foot down my pant legs would hang up on the teeth and I couldn't get my foot down. This could cause you to fall in front of the car in the next lane over at a multi-lane stop light.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
I have the same or similar pegs. I ground the teeth on the outside tips
down because sometimes when I came to a stop and put a foot down my pant legs would hang up on the teeth and I couldn't get my foot down. This could cause you to fall in front of the car in the next lane over at a multi-lane stop light.
interesting, do you have a pic?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I put a very small hex key in the crack between the sides of the mounting box and measured 1/4' clear between the back of the nut and the frame tube.

Then I used a piece of 1/8" stock and drilled the 11/32" hole recommended for the 10M x 1.25 pitch tap in it. Then I ran the tap in until 3/16" came out the other side. Then I screwed a 10M x 1.25 bolt in the hole. It went completely through by hand.

Thanks for your suggestion to measure the clearance through that little crack that I had not noticed.

While looking for a 10M tap I went to the Fastenall store I usually go to for fasteners larger than I think Ace Hardware would have. I was surprised to find a large sign on the door that said "NO INDIVIDUAL SALES - ONLY CONTRACTORS WITH ACCOUNTS". Fortunately Ace had the 10M tap.
Ace also had some 10m 1.25mm fine thread grade 10 bolts but they had 15mm hex/washer heads. The washers on the bolt heads had a slight interference with each other so, I ground one of the washers down a bit and all is well.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts