Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been kicking this idea (and the tubes) around forever. Decided to finally do it. I kind of dig it. Makes it look like I have afterburners, too. And of course I incorporated some duct tape. All stainless steel hardware (wingnuts and washers all around). Hinges on the front. I will probably keep my rain gear in one tube and tools in the other.

My crew:

The Tubes:

Connecting bar is a strip sawed out of an old plastic cutting board.

They look off here cause the bike was on it's stand:

Camera happy wife:

:11a:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Been kicking this idea (and the tubes) around forever. Decided to finally do it. I kind of dig it. Makes it look like I have afterburners, too. And of course I incorporated some duct tape. All stainless steel hardware (wingnuts and washers all around). Hinges on the front. I will probably keep my rain gear in one tube and tools in the other.

My crew:

The Tubes:

Connecting bar is a strip sawed out of an old plastic cutting board.

They look off here cause the bike was on it's stand:

Camera happy wife:

:11a:
Thats really cool,,I may have to experiment with somthing like that,nice job!

·
Administrator
8,300 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup. You nailed it. ;)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Just curious why you have the tubes pointing down instead of up and I would be afraid the cap would vibrate off and you loose the contents. I would drill a small hole and install a self tapping screw so that there wouldn't be a chance of the cap vibrating loose. I would also turn the tube around. IMO

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah, I agree, that's the way I wanted it originally, but I couldn't figure out how to mount them better. Trunk was too small and the attaching ends aren't flat or the same on the tube. Kind of hard to describe. I don't know what the tubes are meant to attach to, but a flat surface it ain't.

The caps aren't coming off in a hurricane though. There's like 3" of threads and they're tight as hell with a rubber grommet to boot. I'm only going to keep light stuff like rain gear and shit like that in there. As I was thinking about it tonight, I'm not sure it would take a lot of weight.

You outed me. Faux tool tubes. They still look like afterburners though.

·
Registered
452 Posts
fill it full of used oil for those fast escapes from those zombies !

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I think that legally you can only have red reflecting to the rear if it's attached to the bike. I know I've seen plenty of bikes with white on the back of panniers, probably won't get pulled over. I would want red on the back though.

You don't have that topcase just ziptied on do you?

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that legally you can only have red reflecting to the rear if it's attached to the bike. I know I've seen plenty of bikes with white on the back of panniers, probably won't get pulled over. I would want red on the back though.

You don't have that topcase just ziptied on do you?
No, the zip ties are kind of an inside joke. The trunk mount is attached by bolts. And reflective tape is the next step. I have a ton of it.

Wayne, my wife has been coming up with 'james bond' ideas. Oil was one of them. ;)

Thanks for checking it out y'all.

·
Registered
452 Posts
you can use red on the sides of the bike just not in front . just look at most trailer over 20 ft its on all 3 sides by law ...

·
Registered
257 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just took a nice short ride. Been busy. Anyway, no weird noises or vibrations. Since it ain't the rainy season yet, I have:

tube #1:
paracord
Zip ties
Duct tape
Pepper Spray

tube #2:
Metal cannister with 12? ounces of fresh Rotella
A little bag I carry with a pen, a lighter, some razor blades and a medical kit, and a cheapo knife...oh and a small flashlight

All that stuff was previously in my trunk. I should have done this a long time ago. Now my trunk just has basic tools, my field crutch, a better first aid kit and...I think that's it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
you can use red on the sides of the bike just not in front . just look at most trailer over 20 ft its on all 3 sides by law ...
If you look at my avitar pic,,,the red portion of the "point" at bottom of gas tank,,,,thats red reflective tape.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts