Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to replace the OEM doohickey. Got all the parts; got the tools. (Thanks, Eagle Mike!).

What's the concensus; lay the bike over on its side, or can it be done on the center stand?

I also have a bike lift, if that's a better option.

Mine is a 2009, with Happy Trails center stand.

Thanks for advice,
CL

·
Registered
59 Posts
I did mine on the side stand because that was the only option. We leaned it over to the left for about 5 minutes to do part of the job, but that was it. I would use the bike lift if that was an option, get it up higher to make your work a little easier.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Im no expert and have not done this yet but have read more than I care about the subject. I did see a good video tutorial that i think is on youtube. The bike was on a full lift. both tires on the lift. can't remember if it was on a center stand on the lift or just strapped in place. probably the best way in case you drop anything?? maybe? not sure if that would be better than having things dropp towards the engine instead of to the bottom.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am wary of using my bike frame lift due to the 130 lbs/ft bolt that I need to break loose. That kind of torque with bike on frame lift could be dicey!

Should crankcase be drained of oil?

CL

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am wary of using my bike frame lift due to the 130 lbs/ft bolt that I need to break loose. That kind of torque with bike on frame lift could be dicey!

Should crankcase be drained of oil?

CL
I didn't think about the torquing of the bolt....

I used the side stand, it wasn't a big deal, just had to work sitting on the ground looking up. The good thing is if you did drop something it wasn't going to go in too deep. I think a center stand would have made the job easier.

I dropped the oil on mine, if you lay it over I don't think you would need to drain the oil, if done upright I think you have to drain it.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Did mine on center stand no problem. Also have done them on a lift. I always strap the bike down and it's handy to have another person there when you torque the rotor bolt.

·
Registered
269 Posts
flopped mine on to a tire.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Just did mine on the side stand. Had to drain the oil. One tip, get a friend to help you stabilize the bike while you break the rotor bolt, bike shifted on me a bit as I was cracking it...

·
Registered
366 Posts
All you guys posting here, did you all do this on 2008+? what did you think of the stock tensioner?
2011, 2588 miles, stock tensioner seemed ok, but replaced with EM since I was in there anyhow. EM has a wider adjustment range. My spring had no pull left. Hadn't fallen off, but would not adjust tensioner either. Bike runs much smoother now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
2011, 2588 miles, stock tensioner seemed ok, but replaced with EM since I was in there anyhow. EM has a wider adjustment range. My spring had no pull left. Hadn't fallen off, but would not adjust tensioner either. Bike runs much smoother now.
odd, i replaced mine at 12xxx kms, spring had a little tension left. I was rather dissapointed with the doohickey hype. If had not spent the bucks on the em kit, I just would have gone and picked up a new shorter spring and left the stock tensioner. I did notice that it had a little more room for tensioning, but lets face it, its chain....only going to stretch so much.

makes you wonder if kawi accidentally leaves an extra link in some engines.

·
Missed Gear
1,193 Posts
The first time I did mine I drained it and put it on a stand.

The SECOND time I did mine I just leaned it against a mattress that happened to be right there at this place up in Etna... Maybe a drop or two of oil came out.

As you can see it hardly has any lean to it. You don't need much.

·
Registered
55 Posts
center stand, ok. drain oil. 4 ft breaker to loosen rotor bolt. My HF torque wrench worked fine for the 144 ftlbs on the re install. 09, 7414.7 mi. EM parts superior, (torsion spring as well), JMHO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts