21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Yes I pulled it.
As far as the pics, my bike looks like yours only blacker. LOLOLOLOLOL

I really will get around to shooting and posting a few angles
of the now aptly named BatCycle.

The wife needs to help me post pics cuz I'm in the dark ages on this issue.
We halfta take the pic, download it (them) to the EZ-Share thingie, then port it over
to the computer, then I can only do "click to enlarge" thumbnails.

I'm not messing with a photobucket account, and there's a glitch with her camera port.
We halfta pull the memory chip and load it into the Kodak EZ wider shareware picture
machine. LOL

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
You had me at BatCycle. :character00231:

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
but we all know GREEN is the best. LOL:cool:

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
But of course! :11a:

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
No, Black tanks are the fastest.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have you sold it yet? IMHO, don't. Even tho thread is really old, I had a chance to re-get a sweet, unmolested, low mile Honda GB500 for $3800!!!!!! I was "meh, not really into a post retro bike" at the time. Two weeks later when I finally came to my senses, it was gone.

Now when I see them on CL they are arou d $6k to $10k, usually beat up a bit & poorly modded in the late 80's.......

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Nope, haven't sold. Probably never will. Sometimes I convince myself I should, but I convince myself of a lot of things I don't do. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, beautifull vintage bike. Had a '77 Kaw KZ 650 for a while, not as nice but decent, orig paint. Liked the bike but gravel dented the chrome front fender and wouldn't even think of taking it on a jeep road. Too many nice jeep roads here. Sold the KZ when I got the KLR.

·
Registered
24 Posts
BTW, second story I heard about errors with drain plug. I was getting mine serviced at a shop but too spendy (out of warranty in 2-mo's anyway) so I'll be changing my own oil in near future. I notice there's a spec for torque and a note that says if you don't have a torque wrench have a shop do this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thats a great looking bike. What a pity you have to sell it. What would a bike like that go for in the states? Had a cx 500 a few years ago, but it started smoking and it was impossible to repair it with the South African rand/dollar/pound exchange rate. All bikes here are imported as are the spares, so one hopes that it lasts or else it 's just bettr to sell it for spares. Got a 06 KLR now and have no desire for any other bike. It' one great allrounder and super popular here in RSA.

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
BTW, second story I heard about errors with drain plug. I was getting mine serviced at a shop but too spendy (out of warranty in 2-mo's anyway) so I'll be changing my own oil in near future. I notice there's a spec for torque and a note that says if you don't have a torque wrench have a shop do this.
Over-rated concern, IMHO. The only purpose of the oil drain plug, tightened, is sealing the sump--no mechanical stress (not as though the 12 mm X 1.5 plug held a STRUCTURAL MEMBER) . . . just snug it up, and don't strip it . . . you don't need no stinkin' torque wrench!

If you DO strip the threads . . . that's what OVERSIZE oil drain plugs are for!

Seriously, do you think your oil drain plug, even lightly inserted, is likely to unscrew itself and fall upon the trail? If anxious, check it now and then; note the orientation of the hex head, see if it moves between inspections.

Still paranoid? SAFETY-WIRE it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, changed the oil about 300 mi ago and the plug is still in. The torque requirement for the drain plug was a bit confusing. At first I thought they must mean inch-lb, but no, checked twice, ft-lbs. I believe it's because the factory uses an aluminum crush washer. You can see the indent on the washer so they might be cranking them down. I also noted they want a new washer for every oil change (no al crush washers here in the out-back) and a new o-ring for the filter cover (not available). Just put her back together like I would have done a car.

But can you post a picture of that wire on mod?

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts
I'll admit, for some reason, I'm paranoid about my drain plug backing out even though I always torque it to specs. I have no idea why. I've never heard of one coming loose if properly torqued. I think it's the idea of the oil spilling out in front of my rear tire that concerns me more than ruining my engine.

As noted, probably no valid reason for concern, just an idiosyncrasy of mine.

I use a plug I got somewhere that has safety wire holes and I always safety it to my skid plate. If you're as anal as I am and can't find a plug with holes for wire, you could probably just drill a hole through the head of your stock drain plug. I really can't remember where I got it. It's also magnetic.

Another option is this stuff:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/f900.php

I use it on some other fasteners on my KLR such as the front axle nut, lowering link dog bones, etc. It provides a quick and easy visual reference to make sure a fastener hasn't loosed.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I sold my Honda for 2K. A steal.

I wrap my 'drain plug' in teflon plumbers tape, snug it and go. Except for the first time when I used a torque wrench and stripped the pan.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts