Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get my post count up so I can post photos of my bike, so will use it by asking random questions! I'm still very new to this

Wanted to see how far I can go with a full tank and did about 350kms (about 220 miles) before it started stuttering which I assumed meant I was running out of fuel.

Pulled over, switched to reserve and did about 10kms before filling up again.

Realised today after another 32 kms (20 miles) that I haven't actually switched the fuel back on after refuelling!

So my questions are:

1. What happens if you forget the reserve on, do you simply run out of reserve fuel until you switch it back to on?
2. How far on average can you go on the reserve tank?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
There are two pickup tubes in the tank. The one for the main fuel "ON" is a couple of inches above the bottom of the tank, so when the fuel drops below it there is some left in the tank. The "RESERVE" pickup is at the bottom, so the remainder of the fuel can drain down through it.

If you leave the petcock in "RESERVE", the full tank from top to bottom can drain to the carburetor. You just won't have any warning that you are getting low on fuel.

For getting your post count up try just making 15 replies to your own post here. Just post "reply 1, reply 2, reply 3, ....... until your count is high enough to post photos.

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
What GoMotor said. I used to run my race bike on reserve all the time knowing that I sometimes needed that last little bit to get back to the pits and couldn't afford to take the time to stall out, switch the selector and restart.

Also don't forget the "secret reserve".....basically you can't drain all the fuel from the right side of the tank so if you run out completely, you can tip the bike over on the left side and transfer that fuel so it can be used.

Dave

·
Registered
241 Posts
I use my trip-meter as a fuel gauge, almost exactly 200 miles before reserve, don't know from there. OEM petcock.

note: 15-43, over 5000 rpm's most the time (no city driving, no city here), 87 octane, 280lbs rider, 6500 ft elevation.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Snip...2. How far on average can you go on the reserve tank?
I'd think that the answer is different for each rider. However, fwiw, I found that the usable fuel in the tank (a 2016 model) is 5.3 gallons (U.S. measure). If you have a handle on your mileage and range to reserve, you can calculate the answer to the question for your riding.

We went dry rolling off the dike of Lake Okeechobee on January 1. I'd put exactly 0.9 gallons in the Rotopax cell we were carrying and we put 4.4 gallons in at a station 2 miles down the road. So, the answer is 5.3 gallons of usable fuel (whether the tank is 5.8 or 6.1), but that's before the secret reserve I've heard about. That will be the next test.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all the replies!

I never heard about lying the bike on it's left side for a "secret reserve", thats great to know!

Yep, with the klr having no fuel gauge, at least I now know how far I can take it. 250 miles is pretty good!

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
I never heard about lying the bike on it's left side for a "secret reserve", thats great to know!

Yep, with the klr having no fuel gauge, at least I now know how far I can take it. 250 miles is pretty good!
Ahh shucks!
"Secret Reserve". One can lay the bike down 4 times, with ever increasing degree of 'down-slope', to get All But the Last .2 gallon Out of the fuel Tank.
I have ridden to and fueled up, 5.928 gallons of gas at a gas station! And my tank has an anti-rust coating inside of IT!

With standard fuel valve, one should have about 10-20 miles of super, super, super, secret Reserve! Ya' might need to ride at 20 mph that last mile, too not have a 'hick-up'!

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
I wuz gonna nail the secret reserve but y'all got to the keyboards sooner.

I've had to do this and totally works. Laid it over twice and made 21 miles to
the gas station! Hadda pick the bike up twice but didn't halfta walk.

CheapMark

·
Registered
387 Posts
The great thing about using the "secret reserve" is that the bike is easier to lean over without all that gas in the tank. :D

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
The distance you can get from the secret reserve can depend on how you ride it.

A few years a go I was in Durango City, Mexico and needing to get to Memphis in a hurry for Thanksgiving. I was running fairly fast and stretching out fuel stops. I made the mistake of believing there would be a gas station at the intersection of two national highways. I was wrong and hit reserve near the nonexistent fuel stop. I slowed down to improve my mileage and continued on through the desert. When the engine started to sputter at the bottom of reserve I shook the bars and leaned to the left moving some of the secret reserve to the left side and the engine picked up again. After doing this several times and milking a few more miles out, there was no more to be had. I coasted as far as I could and then laid the bike over on the left side. It fired up and I drove one more mile to a small gas station.

At that station it took 6.11 gallons to fill the tank to the brim. My conclusion is that the spec of 6.1 gallons in my 2008 KLR is correct and you can get most of the secret reserve out by shaking and leaning to the left while still ridding.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts