Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So maybe I'm just too newb to understand. Have never pulled the forks off a bike. I want to replace my boots on 2001. My shop manual doesn't seem to cover reinstalling the forks and aligning. I'm sure this is baseline knowledge for actual motorcycle mechanic. Can someone point me in the right direction. Video? Article?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
As long as the Top Nut under the handle bars is Not already Loose (should be Tight) or Loosened during your work the alignment of the triple clamps won't change.

·
Registered
80 Posts
As long as the Top Nut under the handle bars is Not already Loose (should be Tight) or Loosened during your work the alignment of the triple clamps won't change.
I've never given it much thought, but even if you completely took the triples out (like to re-pack the head bearings), those are going to line up again when you stick the forks back in. The lower section is going to straighten out when you put the axle in.

I have had my bars/wheel out of alignment after a tumble on bikes. usually holding the wheel in place (I've going it in between my legs) an then giving the bars a good jerk will make it right again. in really bad cases, you may need to slightly loosen the fork bolts on the triple and do this to get it all sort of sprung back into place.

The only alignment procedure mentioned in my '08 service Manual is for the rear wheel.

·
Premium Member
3,012 Posts
It's a standard procedure and there are lots of youtube videos etc. It does vary a little bike to bike as the forks and axle designs vary.

Basically, you tighten the top triples (use a torque wrench), install the tire and axle leaving the one side loose and then cycle the suspension up and down using the front brakes several times. After that, you tighten the pinch bolts or axle nut and lower triple bolts/nuts (again using a torque wrench)

On the KLR, you'll want to be VERY careful you have the speedo drive tangs aligned BEFORE tightening anything or you risk bending the drive tabs and possibly breaking the hub.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for everyone's input. This was a lot easier than I was making it. New fork boots and realigned about an hour.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts