Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a fork brace for my KLR. I've talked to one friend who has one and he loves it. Just wanted some impressions from you guys on the brace.
Thank you
AA

·
Registered
517 Posts
I don't yet have one but from what I read make sure you get one with high enough clearance for a knobby tire. For example, the superbrace doesn't look like a good choice but I think they make one for taller tires but I still wouldn't buy theirs.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
I've talked to one friend who has one and he loves it.
Sounds like a wonderful human being, this friend of yours.. Just short of Sainthood, I'd guess..:11a:

Anyway, I have a Kytech brace. I bought it on Fleabay a couple years ago for around $100. I see they're now $129, and since they're in Ontario, I don't know if that's USD or CAD. http://kytechmachine.netfirms.com/motorcycleparts/nfoscomm/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=29&osCsid=7e01538393c83549bd122a0bbd1e38ba

Is it the best one? Beats me.. I like what it did to the front end of the bike, and I haven't had any issues while running Maxxis 6006 tires (50/50 tire).

If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy a brace. I don't know if it would be this one, but I really didn't look around before buying it, and I like it, so I didn't look around aftewards..:28:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had a K-9 on my KLR and ran a set of D606's no problem. A fork brace is a good investment on the KLR. It really "tightens up" the front end.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Buddy
That's two positives on the brace. I'll be ordering one soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
another thnig to consider is mud clearance sum of the braces get jamed up easlily and dont have holes/ channels or a way for the mud to get out ...

helps alot while on the brakes too stops the bike from pullig to the left ...as much ...
get one ..i got a nice beefy one from e bayy dont knoe the brand but its beef

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have one, it makes a big difference at high speeds. It really tightens up the front end. I lived in California when I first got my bike, sure would have been nice to have the brace on for those damn rain grooves on the freeways.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Several years ago, I remember reading about someone who had crashed because a rock got jammed between the tire and the brace. Has anyone in here heard reports of the SuperBrace or similar products being unsafe due to mud/rocks jamming up the wheel? I know the KLR is a little wobbly but I can deal with this if the tight feel comes at the cost of a bad accident.

·
Registered
2 Posts
KYTECH won't fit over boots!

I just picked up a Kytech from ebay as well. BUT there's no way to install it over the boots...just not enough clearance. How did you install yours? I want to make sure my boots stay sealed really well...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I picked up a Kytech, but after 2 hours I still can't get it installed on my 06. Instructions say that it definitely needs to seal over the boots, but there's just no way...not enough clearance. What am I missing?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I find it very hard to believe a fork brace would go over the boots, would never clamp tight enough over a boot to do the job of bracing the forks....

·
Registered
241 Posts
Look for a youtube video that may help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I too have the K9 from happy trail motorcycle. I run D606 tires without any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
I don't like fork braces, but my riding is "offroad centric". I find my Cogent DDC's and springs do a great job of stiffening up the suspension without the need for an external brace. YMMV

Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts