Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for the length of the stock fork spring and the length of the Progressive fork spring. Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm not sure but a shop manual should give you the length of the stock springs. Progressive should be able to give you the length of their springs. Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
stock fork spring length

I called Cannon Race Craft of Oklahoma City, they were refered to me by a local dealer for racetech springs. the rep I spoke to quoted the "free" length as 494mm

you can call 'em, look up their # online ( I cannot find it at the moment )

by the way, why do you wish to know?
are you upgrading springs as well? I've been looking into it, but I've decided against progressive wound springs and there just aren't that many companies offering them for the KLR. Cannon Race Craft WILL make them, but they want 175.00 for the set.

I'm considering replacing my 25k miles springs with new stock springs and investing the $$$ in Cartrige Emulators instead.

Cheers!

·
Registered
272 Posts
fork springs length?

As a Chassis and Suspension Specialty shop and a long time (since 1996) Racetech Center I feel qualified to comment.

First: the RT Emulator kit is a very good upgrade for any damper rod fork. if it is properly installed and tuned.

Second: replacing springs with 25k mi on them probably is a waste of $$$ as they don't wear out. ( I can hear pundits disagreeing) If you were to extracxt them and rate them you would see they still rate about .4kg/mm as new ones should. Though, unless you weigh less than 150lbs, you will benefit from firmer springs, but not new stockers.

Third: Progressive springs are not as good an answer as many riders think. Certainly not good as lightly preloaded, correct Straight Rate (for your weight) springs will be.
Most progressive springs we remove to replace with str8 rates, are severely over-preloaded. Commonly we find an inch (or more) of preload on the progressives, you have coil bound the soft travel portion of the springs and are left with the firmer rate. This negates the progressiveness and leaves you with over preloaded straight rate springs.
If you have more than about 15mm of prelaod on a spring, you really need heavier rate springs.

The '08 klr fork spring is 365mm long with 34mm o.d and a rate of .400kg/mm.
Feel free to contact me for more info, parts, or service
706 253 1148

·
Registered
22 Posts
more info. Please...

Kent, thanks for your input! I've been searching for str8 rate springs for this bike, but have only found 2 options: stockers and special order from Cannon of Oklahoma City ( and they want 175.00 for the pair ).

I'm definitely doing emulators once I can locate all the hardware, but I'm hoping I can do better than 300.00+ for parts alone.

I've got a # for someone @ racetech that may be able to help, but can you confirm o.d. and "free" length of the springs for my bike? ( '89 KLR )

·
Registered
272 Posts
fork springs and emulators

sveltenshein, I will look into it for you. I am pretty sure I can get you springs and an emulator kit for under $300. I have a call into my contacts at cannon.
Since racetech has no info on those springs.

I will keep you posted

·
Registered
272 Posts
fork springs, and emulators

sveltenshein,
Okay, I have spoken with the folks at cannon, you're right, the retail on special springs is $175. they are special because most springs that long are larger in diameter.
I can sell them to you for $145, If, you buy from us; the Racetech Cartridge Emulator kit #fegv 3801 @ $169.99=$314.99 plus shipping.
It will take a week or so to have the springs made, and I can have them drop shipped to you.
I will need your weight, without gear, to select the rate for you.
You are welcome to call me at 706 253 1148

·
Registered
22 Posts
Straight-Rate...

Kent, I spoke to one of your techs on Monday and left a message for you at the office ( w/ my # ). I'm ready to get the ball rolling on the front springs (perhaps rear shock later) and would like to discuss a few details.

I'll try you again tomorrow or you can reach me most of the day.
Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
springs

:) Hey Kent,
hope you're enjoying the holidays and perhaps getting plenty of rides in

any word on stock spring rate?

I've been working on other maintenance stuff, but plan to dismantle the forks this week.

no rush, just let me know if you find out anything.
Thanks!

·
Registered
272 Posts
yes, we rated stockers in a '02 at .4 kg/mm, very soft, and the same rate as my '08

thanks, the holidays are going great, I hope your's is too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I measured the stock spring's free length to be 490 mm.

The Progressive Suspensions spring has a free length of 572 mm with a rate of .45-.71kg/mm, btw.

Besides Race Tech, straight rate springs are also offered by Sonic Springs, Noleen J6, and Cogent Dynamics as well. Noleen J6 and Cogent are possibly selling Race Tech springs, but Sonics are made in-house. They offer both a .48kg/mm and .52kg/mm and can make custom rates.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I measured the stock spring's free length to be 490 mm.

The Progressive Suspensions spring has a free length of 572 mm with a rate of .45-.71kg/mm, btw.

Besides Race Tech, straight rate springs are also offered by Sonic Springs, Noleen J6, and Cogent Dynamics as well. Noleen J6 and Cogent are possibly selling Race Tech springs, but Sonics are made in-house. They offer both a .48kg/mm and .52kg/mm and can make custom rates.
Does that make the Progressive spring 3.3" longer than the stock spring?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I took a new measurement of the stock springs(a set from 2007), and got 494mm. That figure coincides exactly with the information sveltenshein received. That would mean that the difference would be 3.07 inches(572-494=78mm).

An interesting footnote, is that there is also a progressive spring for the KLR made by Progressive Suspensions previous to the Larry Roessler series that measures 500mm, which is close enough to stock that the original spacers can be reused without alteration. Apparently they are fairly rare, as it took me a while before I could find any info on them when I ran across a pair. I'll be listing them in the classifieds soon, if anyone is interested, let me know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts