Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had success repairing a pit, or two, on the surface of a fork tube without having it re-chromed? See pic.

Industrial chrome plating, owing in large part to environmental restrictions is super expensive these days. I was quoted USD200 to re-chrome one leg, not including shipping and tax.

So I was wondering if folks have had success filling in small pits with something like Devcon, JB Weld or other two-part-goop and then sanding smooth?

Jason

ForkTube.jpg

·
Registered
271 Posts
I am pretty sure your idea will work. Clean the pitting out really well epoxy will not stick to oil.
I have used epoxy to repair scrapes and pits on the rods on hydraulic cylinders as a temporary fix
with moderate success. The pressure in a hydraulic cylinder pushing the seal against the rod
wears the epoxy over time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Lightly, very lightly, pass a file over the pit to take any raised sharp edges off.
That plus what terry said about cleaning and filling with epoxy/JB weld.

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
I would suggest to use a freshly sharpened o-ring pick to scruff up the bottom of the pit to give the base metal some 'tooth' for any epoxy to hopefully bond to. Then an emery clothed wrapped file to dress the surface, followed by carb cleaner & compressed air.

·
Premium Member
3,459 Posts
Nothing to add on the pit, but I'd just replace the fork before getting the upper rechromed....they aren't typically expensive on Ebay.

Dave

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would suggest to use a freshly sharpened o-ring pick to scruff up the bottom of the pit to give the base metal some 'tooth' for any epoxy to hopefully bond to. Then an emery clothed wrapped file to dress the surface, followed by carb cleaner & compressed air.
Thanks for the o-ring pick idea to clean and roughen the base metal. It sounds like you've made this type of repair before? And if so, how long did it last?

Jason

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
Thanks for the o-ring pick idea to clean and roughen the base metal. It sounds like you've made this type of repair before? And if so, how long did it last?

Jason
Have not ever done it, just makes good sense if your gonna' try it.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
... it's a 1973 Aermacchi SS 350.
Ahh yes, I had one of the SX 250cc variant in the enduro machines, 1978 vintage. The bike actually had a very decent little 2-stroke motor, good torque and was very tractable. Although the wheels, frame and suspension were inadequate IMHO. Rode the thing to college and was able to park next to class, versus a mile away in the student parking.

Way back ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts