Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well somewhat fortuitous in that my clutch cable failed less than one mile from home. The cable is nine years old and has been actuated for some 35,000 miles. But I have preiodcially lubed the cable with motor oil starting at the clutch lever and made sure the oil traveled the full length of the cable and exited at the clutch arm on clutch cover. So I'm somewhat surprised it failed.

Jason 20210613_133745.jpg

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,261 Posts
Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like it had been fraying for some time. Did you inspect it recently? Also, was the pull direction from the cable casing to the clutch arm straight or at an angle? That’s the only way I’ve seen them fail.

Now, as long as you’re at it, take out the clutch release arm/shaft and lengthen the arm. It’s easy. Not only does it reduce the lever effort for your hand, but it proportionately decreases the strain in the cable, which should make it last “forever.” FYI, Twin Headlight Ernie does it, and adds about 3/4” or more, from my mensuratuon of the photos on Tom’s Souperdoo site. I added 1/2” the last time I modified mine and thought that was a pretty good balance.

Not only does the mod decrease the lever effort, it increases the engagement zone, which makes it easier to modulate. You’ll wonder why you didn’t do it sooner.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Norton 850, I had a similar experience 1 year ago on my '97. One day while pulling in the clutch I thought I felt a light snap. Thinking not much about it for a few days I felt it again. Removing the cable at the handlebar lever end, I discovered only a couple cable strands unbroken. I've been carrying around a spare new cable for years so there were no delays involved in the repair. Incidentally, the new cable is SOOOOO much smoother and easier to pull.

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like it had been fraying for some time. Did you inspect it recently? Also, was the pull direction from the cable casing to the clutch arm straight or at an angle? That’s the only way I’ve seen them fail.

Now, as long as you’re at it, take out the clutch release arm/shaft and lengthen the arm. It’s easy. Not only does it reduce the lever effort for your hand, but it proportionately decreases the strain in the cable, which should make it last “forever.” FYI, Twin Headlight Ernie does it, and adds about 3/4” or more, from my mensuratuon of the photos on Tom’s Souperdoo site. I added 1/2” the last time I modified mine and thought that was a pretty good balance.

Not only does the mod decrease the lever effort, it increases the engagement zone, which makes it easier to modulate. You’ll wonder why you didn’t do it sooner.

I've yet to do the "Twin Headlight Ernie" mod, but I believe it's worthwhile. ....only reason I haven't is 'cause years of offroad racing has strengthened my grip to the point where the clutch pull isn't an issue. One thing I noticed looking at my buddy Duane's bike with the mod is that the angle of the arm vs. the cable mounting point creates a stress point in the cable - If I was to do the mod, I'd modify the cable holder for a straighter shot.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Yes, our other threads on this topic discuss modifying the cable bracket to get a straight pull to the clutch arm. And even though I have a strong grip and big hands, the mod is worthwhile because the longer engagement zone makes it easier to modulate the clutch. Instead of it engaging in the last 20% or so of lever travel, it engages over about 1/3 of clutch lever travel. As a dirt rider, you will appreciate the finer clutch control at low speed and in rough stuff.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, our other threads on this topic discuss modifying the cable bracket to get a straight pull to the clutch arm.
A straight pull is only possible at one point.

So where is the optimum point; I assume it's where the pulling force is the greatest?
Jason

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've yet to do the "Twin Headlight Ernie" mod, but I believe it's worthwhile. ....only reason I haven't is 'cause years of offroad racing has strengthened my grip to the point where the clutch pull isn't an issue. One thing I noticed looking at my buddy Duane's bike with the mod is that the angle of the arm vs. the cable mounting point creates a stress point in the cable - If I was to do the mod, I'd modify the cable holder for a straighter shot.

Dave
Guilty as charged!

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Well, geometrically, it won’t be perfectly straight throughout its travel, but the arm only moves about 1/2”, so it doesn’t change angle much. I aim for “average straight” through the arc according to my vernier calibrated right eyeball. 😉

1 - 10 of 10 Posts