Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Due to a lack of any commercial ones available I designed a metal headlight guard for the 08+ models.

To get a manufacturer interested I had to have a minimum qty & so I now have a few available for others.

I didn't want to just post in the classifieds as I didn't want to breach any rules (been there & done that on another site) so I'm looking for some advice as to how to proceed.

Of course a small forum donation should be built into the price of any that sell here, that's a given.

I didn't do this as a commercial enterprise, really as just something that needed doing, I wanted one personally & this was the only way to make it happen.

Here's a picture of the prototype on my bike. The additional ones I have are available now.

Dan :)

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
I don't think anyone going to stop you from listing these for sale in the for sale section. May be different if you make a business of it.

Look good by the way. Could maybe use a couple more pictures.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Just didn't want to tread on anyone's toes and also couldn't find a Support/donate button for this site...

I have a bunch of pics but didn't want to swamp this thread.

This whole thing didn't go exactly as planned as you'll see when I post in classifieds so I doubt I'll be making a business of it...

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Hey SM, the guards look great! I saw them on the other site before and rechecked the thread... If Glenn suggested the $6 donation to himself that's pretty much blackmail in my eyes. I'm not a moderator here so I don't really know the protocols but I don't think you would have the same problem here. Hopefully one of the admins lets you know for certain. You must have had a whack of these things made, you had quite a few orders on the other site :). I salute you for designing a product and getting it produced, most people don't get past the thinking about it stage :35a:

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
Excellent!!
And good luck with the new product!! I have a similar guard on my 02'.. I don't know if it works, but since there's no rock chips in my headlight, it must be doing the job.. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I like the headlight guard, good job. Quick side question where did you get the handguards, I plan on some light offroading and these would be perfect.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Stew - I had to get a decent quantity made up just to get a manufacturer to talk to me. I guess most people don't have the inclination or spirit to lay down the price of a used KLR on a box of metal! This was the only way I was going to get one for myself though... I don't have any of my fabrication equipment over here (or the space to build a "shop") to make something up. I miss my welding gear etc a lot!

Gatecrasher, Thanks!
The handguards are Cycra's. They work well but I had to modify the mounts (Taper them) to get them to fit on my Protaper bar. They worked ok on the stock ones.
I needed to use Acerbis extenders on them to get enough distance from the bar in the middle.
I got them from Happy Trail in the sale but even so they are expensive. Very good quality though.

By the way, I have another set of handguards that I'd sell on if you are interested. They do not have the "pro-bend" which makes for easier hand release but they are pretty good. I had them on a Suzuki that I turned into a "temporary dualsport" & took down to Baja. (Took it down their light & used the KLR as a mule..)

Here's the line-up of bikes for the trip...

Handguards:

:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts