Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found an 08 and may be able to buy cheap. Problem is the head has been removed and the cams and bearing surfaces are damaged from lack of oil. Buying a new head and cams is out of the question, would have more in the bike than it's worth. Apparently no one has came up with an effective way to repair the head either. Not much on ebay for good used 08> heads and again cost prohibitive. Question is will a gen 1 head fit a gen 2 engine?
Wondering if I bought this thing would it be worth fixing or just part it out?

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Depends on how cheap you are getting it for before you start. Is that the extent of the damage or just what you can see or what they are telling you??

And yes you can use a 1st Gen head on a 2nd Gen. You have to plug off the AIS port. (EDIT:at the carb)

Eagle Mike sells a kit. http://www.eaglemike.com/Air-injection-blockoff-kit-AIS.htm (EDIT: this is for a Gen 2 head on a Gen 1)

My guess is that it was run out of oil and you probably need to do more than just the head. Likely a 685 kit. Contact Eagle Mike and I'm sure he'll give you a good idea of what you would be looking at.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Holy crap Batman. I'm getting dyslexic in my old age. Thanks for picking that up.

I meant to say that you need to plug the AIS connection at the carb if using a Gen 1 head on a Gen 2.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My guess is that it was run out of oil and you probably need to do more than just the head.
That is an unknown but apparently not all that uncommon to find the cam bearings scored, even a head like that on ebay.
I have dreamed up an idea how to repair the head if I can find someone who can do it. Same way as you would resize a connecting rod by cutting the cap down and reboring the hole.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Read on another forum; outfit in CA (Petaluma?) rehabs heads; new line bore and bronze cam bearings included; about $ 500 if I'm not mistaken . . .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts