Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, when I was a kid, My Grandpa and I had a game where we looked for "goodies" (usually nails, bolts, nuts, rubber bands) everywhere we went.

I do it with my kids. My oldest (7) found this and said it was by my bike. I can't think how a bolt (aside from exhaust) could get looking like that on my bike. And my neighbor works on his car by my bike, too.

Now, I always freak out when I find random hardware (thanks MarkB4!). ;) Problem is that my daughter is tripping about me riding the bike with a missing bolt. And she thinks I'm an idiot. ;)

There's no way this came off the bike, right? My bike ain't that old. If my "smart bike friends" aren't worried, she will chill. Yes, I'm serious. :)

·
Administrator
8,256 Posts
It looks like it's been kicking around for a while; the crud in the threads means it hasn't been installed in anything recently.

Drop-dead simple exclusion is if it is 1/4"-28 thread; that surely rules it out as coming from your bike.

If it is a metric you can poke around and see if anything is missing from places where a short screw would be placed, like the screw that holds the sheet metal tab onto the top of the left hand swing arm. Where ever it came from, it was likely holding sheet metal in place.

Tom

Reactions: Lockjaw

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like it's been kicking around for a while; the crud in the threads means it hasn't been installed in anything recently.

Drop-dead simple exclusion is if it is 1/4"-28 thread; that surely rules it out as coming from your bike.

If it is a metric you can poke around and see if anything is missing from places where a short screw would be placed, like the screw that holds the sheet metal tab onto the top of the left hand swing arm. Where ever it came from, it was likely holding sheet metal in place.

Tom
"Thank you, Tom, she will accept your word for it for sure," Tom said resignedly. ;)

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I told Francine you agreed it looks too old and beat up to have come off my bike. She said, "YOU'RE too old and beat up to come off your bike."

Uppity. Smart aleck-y. Wonder where the hell she got that from. :fiddler::)

(at least now she'll let me ride the damn thing)

·
Administrator
8,256 Posts
"Frankie, my dear, be nice to your old man," Tom said windily.

Tom

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Spare hardware??

If I find hardware under my KLR it's most likely one that disappeared into the "black-hole" when I dropped it while doing something on the bike.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Do you ride with the Harley guys? If so there's a strong possibility that it came off one of their bikes and just stuck on top of your skidplate. It happens a lot.
>:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts