Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what size Allen wrench fits the front axle on a second generation KLR650? (The bike's in the garage across town.) I know it's smaller than a 17mm and larger than a 10mm. Maybe a 15mm? Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found it - 14mm

I did a search on one of the other forums, and found out that it was 14mm. I'll leave the thread here, in case it's of value to others.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
That's a good-sized Allen wrench, roginoz!

I notice the axle hex nut is also 14 mm, according to "Owner Info," "Parts Diagrams" at http://www.kawasaki.com.

OK we're talking about the end oposite of the threads yes? The axle nut takes a 19mm wrench.

You don't need the big honkin allen wrench to install/tighten the axle. Here's how...

Install the wheel and axle. Insert the axle all the way in until it stops. Tighten the 4 axle pinch bolts (some only tighten the brake side). Tighten the axle nut all the way down. Be sure that the wheel is not dragging. Now loosen the axle pinch bolts on the side oposite the nut and wiggle that fork leg in and out a bit to be sure it slides on the end of the axle. Tighten the pinch bolts. Done.

Some bang the front of the bike against a wall or something.to align that fork but moving it in and out accomplishes the same thing. You do want that end of the axle to slide freely in the fork, clean and grease as necessary. Check for fit before assembly.

Tuesday Tip: Aligning Your Forks

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
OK we're talking about the end oposite of the threads yes? The axle nut takes a 17mm wrench.
I hear you, Spec! Kawasaki calls out the nut (Ref. 92015) shown as "NUT, 14MM." Your hands-on experience carries weight, with me!

Front Hub Exploded Parts Diagram, Kawasaki Website, Showing "Part # 92015-1407 NUT,14MM"

ERROR NOTICE: Regardless of the Kawasaki website's parts diagrsm, the nut appears to be 19 MM in size.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I hear you, Spec! Kawasaki calls out the nut (Ref. 92015) shown as "NUT, 14mm." Your hands-on experience carries weight, with me!
Hold on I was right the first time, it's a 19mm nut.

So if I was wrong about being wrong that makes me double right, right?

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Hold on I was right the first time, it's a 19mm nut.
My faith in Kawasaki remains shaken.

They claim pre-'08's have 14MM front axle nuts (albeit castle nuts); maybe so, gonna check it in the morning! [EDIT: I did, and Kawasaki's "parts diagrams" list is in error; the nut is actually 19 MM in size. Thanks, Spec, for sharing your experience!]

I assume the pinch-bolt scheme on later models was adapted to retain the axle, even if the nut is lost; some redundancy for the sake of safety.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spec: I noticed the pinch bolts. I've sometimes used the allen wrench to wiggle the axle out, or to the proper depth, on my ST. I thought it would be nice to have the same option with the KLR. (And, a guy can't have too many tools...)

I thought the front axle nut was 22mm, and the rear was 24. (Again, the KLR isn't close at hand right now to check; its damned cold here in KS, and we have several inches of new snow. I can't wait for Spring...)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did anyone ever figure this out? I was able to slide a 19mm socket over the front nut, and I think the same one fit on the back. Can I remove the axle bolt with just 1 19mm socket?

I want to order the T-7 tire tools listed here: http://blueridgeracing.com/tireTools.htm but I want to get the correct size.

So which sizes do I need?

·
Administrator
8,279 Posts
It's not a necessary tool.

If ya want one for your kit, though, it's 14mm Allen. The easiest thing to do for that, and for not carrying a bodacious Allen wrench, is to get a bolt with a 14mm head and jam a nut on it, then cut off any excess thread. Stuff the head end into the axle and turn it or hold it with your 14mm open end wrench.

The rear nut is a 27mm, or 1 1/16".

Your tool kit contains a one-use torque wrench for the rear. Just as you reach the proper torque, it bends :).

T

1 - 10 of 10 Posts