Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've acquired a 93 KLX650 that has some sort of obstruction in the front brake hose. I've tried blowing it out with compressed air at about 100psi to no avail.

The bike sat up for several years and the front brake lever was basically frozen. I have removed and cleaned the master cylinder and the piston, and I now have good pressure and can easily bleed the air from the master cylinder.

The main hose, however, will not pass fluid - I managed to get some of the old fluid (really nasty looking reddish brown stuff!) out via compressed air, but something nastier must now be lodged in the hose.

Any suggestions on how to clear the hose? The hose itself is in fine shape (bike only has 3000 miles on it), and I would prefer to clear it out, clean it out, and reuse it than to get a new one. If a new one is required, is Galfer still a good hose?

Many thanks for the help!

Steve

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
If that hose has never been replaced, it's 20 years old. I know you'd rather re-use it, but I think I'd be looking at a new one. You can even get a stainless braided one for around $50. Small price to pay for the peace of mind of having a reliable front brake. Not worth it to try to salvage, IMHO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Planalp, you are right. Even though it's hardly been used, the rubber is, after all, 20 years old! At my age (66), that doesn't seem to be all that old anymore, but in reality I know it is! (Can't tell it by the way I ride yet, but I know the day is coming when you can!)

I'll order out a Galfer today. I put them on my VMAX a few years ago and the stainless braid made a noticeable difference. Thanks for the reality check - I need that from time to time.

Steve

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
Planalp, you are right. Even though it's hardly been used, the rubber is, after all, 20 years old! At my age (66), that doesn't seem to be all that old anymore, but in reality I know it is! (Can't tell it by the way I ride yet, but I know the day is coming when you can!)

I'll order out a Galfer today. I put them on my VMAX a few years ago and the stainless braid made a noticeable difference. Thanks for the reality check - I need that from time to time.

Steve
I don't demand a lot from my brakes so wouldn't do it just for an upgrade, but if I ever had to replace either of the hoses, I'd just go with the braided offerings over the standard ones. Hope it works out for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts