Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First time riding in light rain and wet roads coming home this morning and got a surprise. My front tire sprays up water right into my face. NOT FUN!! I guess the tire is throwing excess water forward and up and my forward movement causes me to take it right in the face! Some mods are just useless! Thanks Mr. PO!

Looking at pic of KLR fenders I would say that mine has been cut back, way back!

I have a dr 650 front fender in the garage and redrilled that for a temp fix. It does not protect the radiator like the OEM so I'm looking for a gen 1 front fender if anyone has one for sale.

Pics of the "mod"

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Yours is a Gen 1, mine is a Gen 2.

Gen 2 front fenders are known to get knocked about in the wind, making the bike a bit twitchy in the wind.

I ride in all sort of weather, including rain.

The fender I installed is Cycra motocrossy thing; it's pretty small. When I ride in the rain there's a lot of water coming off of the front wheel and over the windscreen.

My thoughts on it are this:

Every single ride I take involves wind. It's either nature's wind or the buffeting off of big rigs.

Not many of the rides I take involve a lot of rain and, if they do, I'm usually pretty well suited up.

I trade seldom-needed wet weather protection for stability in the wind and think it's a good trade-off.

It doesn't help much with this unless I'm moving pretty good.

Question: Are those Havaianas?

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
Yep, it's been butchered.....usually people do that thinking that the poor fender is responsible for some highway instability (that is usually a suspension set up issue).

Supermoto fenders are equally useless IMO. I have the stock fender on my 2000 and a Polisport on my 2000 and both work well with the Polisport looking a bit "leaner".

I'd give you one of mine but you're too far away! Good luck.

Dave

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Front fender

I installed an Eagle Mike's fork brace, and lowered the OEM front fender down on top of the brace. Haven't ridden in rain yet, but it does keep front of bike a little cleaner. I don't get as much wobble from wind, or big trucks.
Here's what I did.......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMfYgm_aGew

Should help keep water from coming back up over the front of fender.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts