Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys:

Has anyone put another front fender on their bike at a closer position to the wheel? As to let it follow the wheel up and down instead of having it wave around a mile above the front tire creating a wind sail effect...making the bike a bit light at higher speeds..??
I just picked up a fork brace today and thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to mount a fender onto it and let the fender follow the tire instead of where it is now???

Anyone else have a thought on this idea???

If so please post up a pic and let us know how it is working out for you.

Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
Some have and I forget the parts used. It sure looks worse than the stock unit, but keeps mud off you better I imagine.

I like the motard fenders. Much stiffer, but you still get dirty/wet easy.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
A lot of guys have the "low' front fender. Some say it helps, and some claim they run hot because the air doesn't hit the rad through the vents of the stock fender.
Eagle Mike sells a fork brace that has the holes pre drilled for a low fender. I want the air throught the vents myself.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking that if you had the fender close to the tire the air would flow over the fender and into the rad instead of through the fender also making the fender less of an air foil lifting the front of the bike making it lighter at higher speeds.
Perhaps getting it like a street bikes fender but with a bit more room for the occational mud bath??? It would be OK for those of us who ride primarily on the street I would think , wouldn't it???
It was just a thought on how to keep the front end from getting squirly at highway speeds..??

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes ...that's it!!!

What is the general concensis on this fender???

I sort of like the looks of it but not as much as the stock one, looks only, but I would think it would handle better not caching so much air as the stock fender.

What are your opinions???

·
Registered
173 Posts
Personally, I've yet to ride a bike with the UFO Superbike fender on it. There was kind of a rush on these some time back and I do remember the guys reporting a major improvement in aerodynamics. It sure looks the part.

Myself, I like a high fender and the Acerbis KTM style is what I have. It doesn't sail like the OEM does and I'm happy with it.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
A lot of people say the hand guards are the big proble with stability.

about the low fender, some say it causes the bike to run cooler, and some say it causes it to run hotter. I have heard both discussed, but I just think the high fender fits the KLR better.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I remember back when lots of folks were putting low fenders on that there were a few that said the fender would pack with mud and eventually lock the front wheel. Seems like I remember someone even saying that they were launched over the handlebars. But if you don't ride off road this may not even concern you. :lol:

·
Registered
53 Posts
GreenGene said:
Myself, I like a high fender and the Acerbis KTM style is what I have. It doesn't sail like the OEM does and I'm happy with it.
Which one do you have and where did you get it? I've seen a few pics with them, but can't find them and don't know the name.
D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Gene and Buddy are exactly right.
I have the Acerbis KTM and I love the deflection and protection it offers.
The best part is it doesn't have those air slits in the back like the stocker so all the mud and dirt aren't directed straight into the radiator.

I have seen numerous Supermoto version's in person, ridden with a few, and everyone had mud on their face, chest, headlight and fairings.

Just my opinion, love to know what the new fender on the 2008 will do for us

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
CRITTER said:
The best part is it doesn't have those air slits in the back like the stocker so all the mud and dirt aren't directed straight into the radiator.

I have seen numerous Supermoto version's in person, ridden with a few, and everyone had mud on their face, chest, headlight and fairings.

Critter have you strapped a fender bag on the Acerbis KTM fender yet? I have the acerbis SM and I doubt it will hold the fender bag. But it looks good. :D

The 2008 fender does it for me. Looks and function all in one piece.

·
Registered
153 Posts
CRITTER said:

there have been some reports that this fender actually has caused some overheating or running warm issues. any truth to this. did you find that a problem?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the info on the different fenders guys. I'm just taking note for the different mods and farkels I can add as I go on.
D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the Acerbis Tecnik on mine.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
wyd said:
I have the Acerbis Tecnik on mine.
Did you paint the fender to match? If so, good job. If not, thank you Acerbis.

That is one of the fenders I have questions about but have never received a reply.
*Did you notice any coolant temperature differences when you installed the fender?
*Were you able to select the colors of each piece when you purchased the fender? If so, where did you buy the fender?
*Do you think the frnder will hold a loaded fender bag?
*After installing the fender did you notice differences in how your KLR handled on the freeway? Especially around other vehicles and winds.
*I have a Acerbis SM fender and I had to drill the mounting holes. Did you have to drill the mounting holes for this fender?
*What do you like and dislike about this fender?
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts